Monday, April 2, 2012

Time for the Hummers


These guys are so darn cute!!  When I put the hummingbird feeder out, it is the beginning of my spring/summer outdoor life.  I had my first visitor 10 minutes after I hung the feeder yesterday.

Every year my daughter-in-law calls me and asks me how to make the nectar, so I thought that I would beat her to the punch before she makes that call.  Back in the old days, I didn't have a clue how to make the nectar so I just purchased those packs of ready-made nectar.  You know the stuff with the red coloring.  They love it but it probably isn't that good for them, so here is my easy peasy full-proof method.

1 cup white sugar
4 cups water

Boil the water, add the sugar and stir until it dissolves and is clear.  Done.  Let cool before you fill the feeder.  Keep the rest in the fridge.  That is it.

I keep a close eye on the feeder and keep it nice and clean.  We don't want sick birdies.

I don't know about your hummers but by summer my guys are getting pretty aggressive.  They have no qualms about dive-bombing you while you are sitting out on the deck enjoying your ice tea.  I don't know if they are trying to run us off or just funning with us.




No comments:

Post a Comment