Thursday, April 12, 2012

Grocery Basket 4/12

Miss MoneyPenny has a dear friend who is a nutritional therapist and she is always laying into me for using coffee creamer.  She says it is the worst of the worst and it is not my friend.  I usually just ignore her and pour away, but she gave me a printout of an article by Gary Taubes that really shook me up.  He is a science writer and has written a lot on the subject of sugar, including a couple of best selling books.  His most recent is Why We Get Fat: And What To Do About It.


I would be the last one to suggest giving up sugar, but this guy has really shook me up.  As you know, Miss MoneyPenny battles the bulge, which is probably the least of my worries after reading what he had to say.  Have you ever heard of something called "fatty liver?"  Me either, but it seems that it can lead to all kinds of bad things that I'd rather not think about.  And who knew that insulin was a hormone?  It is starting to look like it might just be time that Coffee Mate and I break up.  Sob.  It ain't gonna be easy because I'm addicted to the stuff.  Really!!  I'll keep you updated on how I do with this.

That being said, here are the things that I'm looking at this week from the QFC ad:

Seattle's Best Coffee - BOGO
Rosarita Refried Beans - $1
Oikos Greek Yogurt - $1/5.3oz
Nature Made Vitamins - BOGO
Farmland Country Style Ribs - $1.99/lb
Ranger Free Range Whole Chickens - $1.59/lb
Wild Caught Dover Sole - $5.99/lb
Cauliflower or Broccoli - $1.49/lb
Kiwis - 3 for $1
Navel Oranges - $1/lb
Jazz Apples - $1/lb
Private Selection Organic Salad - 2/$5
Tomatoes on the Vine - .99/lb
Organic Strawberries - $2.99/16oz

While I'm over at Chimacum Corners tomorrow, I'm going to pick up some of their organic cream for my coffee.  I have no idea what I'm going to sweeten it with as I'm told Sweet 'n Low is also bad for you.  This is not going to be easy.





No comments:

Post a Comment