Thursday, May 10, 2012

Grocery Basket 5/10

Mother's Day is coming up this weekend and it looks like it is going to be a beaut.  I'm trying to keep myself under control and not plant the deck pots as the temperature this morning was 32 and that is just too cold for tender geraniums and petunias.  I just know that it will be gorgeous and in the 70s this weekend but by the middle of next week it will probably be back in the usual 50s, so I'm gonna wait another week.  I hope.

A friend of mine said today that she would just like to walk into QFC and feel that there was real food to be had there.  Of course she was exaggerating, but sometimes it does feel like we have to walk through a minefield to find pure food that has not been born in a factory.  Both she and I are doing more and more of our food shopping at Chimacum Corners, but I still fly through QFC and snatch up the loss leaders.  Here is what I'm looking at this week and I couldn't find any coupons listed at couponmom.com:

Kroger Greek Yogurt - 5/$4 6 oz
Nature Made Vitamins - BOGO
Certified Angus Beef Ribeye Steak - $5.99/lb
Fresh Wild Caught Halibut - $16.99/lb
Asparagus - $2.49/lb
Broccoli or Cauliflower - $1.29/lb
Organic Fuji or Gala Apples - $1.50/lb
Organic Sweet Potatoes - $1/lb
Vidalia Sweet Onions - $1/lb

I never thought that I would be paying $16.99 a pound for halibut, when back in the day, my favorite ex-husband used to bring so much of it home from his fishing trips, that I actually got tired of it.  Those were the days.  According to the fish lady at QFC, we can expect to pay these prices for the foreseeable future and I will, but just not eat such a big piece or let any of it go to waste.

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I was on the hunt for some summer shoes that were not flip flops, which just kill my feet if I wear them too much.  I found a great pair of shoes that actually feel better than not wearing shoes and I always go barefoot.  These guys were not cheap - $84.95 - and I got them online from The Walking Store.  I even had to pay shipping!! $8.95 but I did stay under the $100 plus tax that I would have paid at Macy's for Jambus and I like them much better.  I also got $6.37 added to my Ebates account. 

The picture doesn't show the color very well.  They are dark khaki and pink and the model is Whisper and the brand is Keen.  This is information for my sister Miss SmartyPants because we always have to have what the other one has.




No comments:

Post a Comment