Wednesday, March 27, 2013

QFC Grocery Basket 3/27


Miss MoneyPenny is not a big fan of Trader Joe's.  There, I said it.  I know this is unAmerican, but I've had bad luck with their produce, such as, dry and juiceless lemons, bad avocados, and mushy apples, and moldy bread.  And what is with all their "organic" processed foods??  Seems strange to see those words in the same sentence.

Having said all that, I always buy my coffee filters there.  When did these things get so expensive??  At TJ's they are only $1.99 for 100 brown #4s, which is a screaming deal.  And after I've brewed my morning coffee, I toss the whole thing, filter and all, into the compost for the wormies.  They also carry a high quality sea salt for a good price and canned coconut milk (for curries) at $ .99 a can.

I'm not down on TJ's like I am with Walmart, but since I pretty much cook from scratch. there isn't much there for me.  I do better budget-wise shopping the weekly QFC ad, Costco, and Chimacum Corners, our local farm stand for my food.

Now that I've blown off some steam, let's look at the QFC ad for this week.  Sunday is Easter and a lot of people cook up a big feed.  I used to do this before the kids took it over and added the adult Easter egg hunt.  I modeled my menu on what Mom cooked which was always a big ham.  The kids rarely cook a ham, since none of us like it, preferring to serve ribs or Mexican food before the big hunt.

If you are having ham, it is on sale for $ .99 a pound this week.  The best part of the ham, as far as I'm concerned, is making bean soup with the bone.  QFC is still running the Buy 5, Save $5 promo and the cereal promo, which is Buy 4/Get a free gallon of milk, with cereal at $10 for 4 boxes.

Here are my suggestions this week:

Spice Island Spices - 33% off
Mountain High Yogurt - $1.49 (Buy 5, Save $5 promo)
QFC Butter - $1.79
QFC Whipping Cream - $2/16oz
Simple Truth Natural Eggs - $2.50/doz
Tillamook Cheese - $4.99/2lb
Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream - $2.69/16oz (promo)
Boneless Pork Loin - $2.99/lb
Gusto Shank Half Ham - $ .99/lb
Fresh Dover Sole - $5.99/lb
Asparagus - $1.98/lb
Driscoll's Strawberries - $2/lb
Grape Tomatoes - $3/10oz
Green Onions - $ .69/bunch
Radishes - $ .69/bunch
Fresh Cut Tulips - $3.33/5 stems (3 for $10)

I noticed that there is a lot of alcohol on sale this week.  It takes up a lot of ad space which they could be using for real food specials, but I have a feeling that there is real money to be made on booze, as opposed to milk and bread.  Nothing like getting blasted on Easter.  I have actually done this back in the old days, but now I wouldn't survive the hangover.

Cruise Fund Update:

Old Balance              =    $741.81

                                 +       14.39 (Amazon sale)

New Balance            =    $756.20


1 comment:

  1. I've not at all had the produce problems at TJs that you have had. Too bad, I love shopping there and usually have very good luck with their produce. I DO however, entirely agree with you about the bread. I've not actually gotten moldy bread there, but I can't tell you how many times I have looked at their bread only to find that every loaf they have is 2-3 days from it's sell date. I hate that, so I never, ever buy bread there.

    ReplyDelete