Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Again With the Tax Tips From Miss SmartyPants






 So - just in case you think that Miss MoneyPenny exaggerates, here's the proof!!  I've mentioned in earlier posts how important it is to have free haul-away of your old mattress when you buy a new one.  Well, yesterday Miss CutiePie and I were out dividing up the sedums and daylillies (mainly she was doing all the work) when I spotted this leaning up against my neighbor's house, and it is still there today, so it isn't just getting aired out.  And it is getting ready to rain!!  I don't know what to say.

My sister, Miss SmartyPants, is counting down the days until April 15th when she finally gets to take a deep breath.  She took a minute and sent another tax tip.  She must be thinking of our kids because Granny gave them a mint coin set every year for Christmas for about 30 years.  I asked my son if he still had it and he looked at me like I was crazy to ask such a silly question.  If he ever plans to sell it, he will need to consider the tax implications.

More tax tips:

If the dust is collecting on Grandpa's old coin collection or you just have too many Monet's for your wall space, you may be considering selling them. Be aware that these are taxable income items. They are considered collectibles and you do not get the lower capital gains rate as you would if you sold that vacant lot next to the shopping center downtown. Or if you buy gold or silver coins when the price is down and sell when the price goes up. These are considered collectibles also. Could have serious tax implications. Be sure to talk with your tax advisor before you sell. Who would have thought that you would be penalized for buying gold coins versus gold stocks? The laws these congressmen come up with...




I have been noticing that my Electrolux Stick Vac didn't seem to be working as well lately, so I turned it over and this is what I found - a whole head of hair wrapped around the brushes.  There was also a big choking gob around the little turner mechanisms at the ends.

This is easy to fix.  Just open the little door on the left side and the roller comes right out, making it easy to cut off the hair and strings.  This made a huge difference!!  I really need to do this more often.


There's an app for that:


My post is all over the place today and that gives you an idea of how my brain works.  To organize it, I use a couple of apps.  The app on the left is Evernote and I love it to death.  I have it installed on my phone, Color Nook, and computer.  It syncs everything together, somehow, out there in the ether, so if you write a note on one of them, they all know it.  Too Cool!!

I'm a huge list-maker, so this is just right up my alley, and I'm always taking notes or writing down my thoughts.  I rarely sit down to write MMP without my notes and research.  And you can throw away your grocery list.  Since Evernote has audio, I just tell it what I want on my list, then when I get to the store, it is on my phone.  

And how many times have you been waiting at the doctor's office and something comes to you that you want to remember??  Grab your phone.  In fact, you can even turn on your little microphone thingy and record your doctor when she finally gets to you and it will write it all down.  Slick!!

I recently added the web clipper and am figuring out how to work it, but the idea is Evernote will take your highlighted piece of information and store it for you to read later.  Or, for example, say you are in the market for a new washing machine.  Have the web clipper store your research on the different models.  When it comes time to buy, whip out your phone and it will be there for you in the store. 

On Saturday, Shane, the world's cutest handyman, is coming by to build some raised beds and I have my list and specifications on my phone.  I thought that I would just show it to him, but guess what??  You can print out your lists!!  Which I did, and I'll just give it to him, and I won't have forgotten anything.

I've just skimmed over the top of what this app will do and I'm just learning myself.  There is a lot of information on getting the most from this app on their site and on the web.

Now, my sister swears by Astrid Tasks, the one on the right.  This is a great list maker that actually has a reminder (Evernote does not have a reminder) that will ring and alert you that it is time to apply the flea meds, or change the furnace filter.  This is what I mainly use Astrid for but if you need a good basic list maker this is for you.  I'm sure if Miss SmartyPants has something to add, she'll let us know.

Both apps are free, which is a screaming good deal!!


No comments:

Post a Comment