Thursday, March 14, 2013

Corned Beef Redux



I love these guys!!  I am also very proud of them.  The CutiePies, aka, the Thackers, are a young couple who are really on the ball.  They are smart, hard working and beautiful.  They have accomplished amazing things in their two year marriage because of their hard work and vision.  And they are fun to be around.  Be sure and check out their blog and see what they are up to.  They have done a lot of work on their house.

Miss CutiePie posted a comment on my last blog about cooking corned beef in a cooking bag.  I thought that it was too good to pass by, so I'm gonna re-post it:

       We've had corned beef twice this month already (can you tell we love it in our house?). This year I've tried something new and have been cooking it in the crockpot. I throw it in with about a cup of beer or wine (whatever I have on hand) and sprinkle it with the spice packet it comes with and let it sit all day. I check it periodically during the afternoon and if I think it is getting overcooked I'll change my setting to keep warm. So far around 8 hours has worked well and I've roasted my cabbage and potatoes separately in the oven. This is my new favorite preparation! The veggies and potatoes aren't soggy and the corned beef has been moist and perfect every time!

And my sister, Miss SmartyPants, also chimed in:

I love MMP cooking ideas in those cooking bags. No cleanup and everything is always cooked to perfection. I must make the leap some time. I have always cooked my corned beef in the crockpot since way back in the early 70's when I got my first crockpot. Remember those first ones? You had to soak the whole thing in the sink because 1) it didn't have a removable cooking pot 2) it definitely wasn't nonstick 3) the cord did not remove from the bottom of the pot. I'm amazed that we didn't all burn our houses down with those things! My glass lid had a chip in it and one of the little legs rotted off and it still kept cookin' away for years and years. About 10 years later I finally bought a new crockpot with a removable liner and set the old crockpot on top of the outside garbage can. My husband came in after work with the crockpot in his hands and said that it still worked and it looked sad out there. So, I put it back on the shelf and it sat there unused for another 10 years, but with a happy face. I throw on 1/2 of my cabbage and let it cook all day with the corned beef because I love the cabbage flavor mixed with the corned beef. Then, about an hour or so before I'm ready to eat, I take the rest of cabbage and cut it into 1/4s and push it down into the juice and cook some more. I've never thought about putting my own seasonings on... What a concept! 

I love it when I get comments and I will keep sharing those that are helpful.  From now on, I'm going to put beer in my cooking bag instead of water.  What a good idea!!  The recipe calls for only a half cup of liquid, so I guess I'll just have to drink the rest.  Right??  No waste in the MoneyPenny household.
I wasn't going to cook corned beef this year because it is just me but now I'm craving it, so I'm gonna invite the Bradster over to share.  He's a good eater and a real appreciator of leftovers.



No comments:

Post a Comment