Wednesday, March 20, 2013

QFC Grocery Basket 3/20


The first day of spring came in like a grizzly this morning, blowing and raining like crazy, but I'm not complaining.  We are doing so much better weather-wise than most of the poor country.  I saw a late night comedian say that they should eat Phil because he predicted a short winter and early spring.  What does a groundhog really know, anyway??

I saw an interview with the author of Salt, Sugar, and Fat this morning on the CBS morning show with Charlie Rose that just blew me away.  Michael Moss has a Pulitzer, so I'm taking him very seriously.  He has done interviews and research into what Big Food puts in their processed foods to make us actually addicted just like Big Tobacco has done.  I'm not surprised as I have a heavy addiction to Coffee Mate and the only way I can give it up is to not drink coffee, which is really not a bad idea, but it gets me going in the morning like nothing else.

I'm gonna read his book and probably scare the pants off myself, but I'm pretty sure that he will advocate buying and eating only "real food" to be safe.  As you know, this involves a lot of planning and careful shopping and work in the kitchen - just like what our grandmas did.  Miss MoneyPenny tries to help out by posting as much "real food" in the weekly ad as she can find, and here it is for this week:

Franz Bread - $2.49/loaf
Gold Medal Flour - $2/5 lb bag (stock up price)
Mountain High Yogurt - $2.79/qt ($ .50 coupon SS/2/24)
QFC Eggs - $2/18ct (good price for Easter egg dying)
QFC Butter - $2.49/lb
QFC Cottage Cheese - $1.67/24oz
QFC Whipping Cream - $2/16oz
Fresh Wild Rockfish Fillets - $5.99/lb
Broccoli Crowns - $ .99/lb
Cauliflower - $ .99/lb
Roma Tomatoes - $ 99/lb
Colored Bell Peppers - $1.25/ea

QFC is running two promos this week - Buy 5, Save $5 and Buy 4 Cereals, get free gallon of milk.

Cruise Fund Update:

Old Balance - $621.81

                   +   120.00 (Costco/Amex rebate)

New Balance - $741.81

No comments:

Post a Comment