Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Talking Turkey


Miss MoneyPenny doesn't like roast turkey.  There I said it.  That being said, I do like turkey sandwiches and I like having several bags of chopped cooked turkey in the freezer for soups and such.  But I just can't get excited about turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy and stuffing, unless, of course, it is my sister's famous oyster stuffing.  I'm usually happy with wine, appetizers and desert, as long as it isn't pumpkin pie.  Good grief, MoneyPenny, but you are an old grouch.

Anyway, for years my turkeys were always very dry because I cooked them to death.  I was complaining about this at work several years ago when Miss Peggy Lee, a lovely lady who used to volunteer at the library, told me about her method and I've never looked back.

What you do is run up to the store and get a pack of those Reynolds Cooking Bags in turkey size.  I know!!  I was surprised that they came that big, too.  Take the giblets out and get them on a back burner for gravy.  Rinse and pat dry.  Season your bird.  I butter up the breast under the skin and on top but you don't have to.  Place one tablespoon of flour in your bag and swoosh it around.  Stick your bird in, fasten and tuck in the end.  Cut six small slits in the top for air.  It will look like this:


Roast at 350.  It will cook faster in the bag, so consult the chart that comes with the cooking bag and keep your thermometer handy.  When you take it out of the oven, let it sit for a few minutes before you carve.  You will have a beautiful and moist turkey.

I never put stuffing inside the turkey.  According to the Butterball ladies it is not safe.  My sister, the queen of stuffing, makes a giant pan of stuffing and cooks it along side.  Maybe she will give up her oyster stuffing recipe and I'll share.

P.S.

Be careful when you are pouring the goody juices from the bag for gravy.  Very hot and the bag is unwieldy.  Then wad up the bag and throw it away.  Clean up done.  No baked on crusty roasting pan to soak and scrub.

1 comment:

  1. My mom discovered Reynolds cooking bags about 10 years ago and she's sworn by them ever since. She makes a damn good bird, too. Although, frankly, I could forego everything on the table and just gorge myself on her stuffing and gravy. Happy Thanksgiving, Shery. ♥

    ReplyDelete