Monday, November 26, 2012

Cyber Monday!!

                                                

Now you know that Miss MoneyPenny gives Black Friday a pass because she thinks that it is uncivilized.  Witness the unseemly pictures of people pushing, shoving and slugging that have been on the news.  Shudder!!

Miss MoneyPenny much prefers Cyber Monday and there are some great deals to be had, but before you start, I have one word for you - Ebates!!  All you do, and this is totally free, is go to their site and sign up for an account and you will never shop online again without them.  This is free money!!  I've received over $300 dollars and I live on a very limited income.  My sister buys for her business and really cleans up.

Here is just a tiny sampling of the deals through Ebates today:

Dell - 8%
Macy's - 6%
Amazon - 6%
Old Navy - 10%
Kohl's - 8%
Gap 10%

Example:  you buy a new laptop from Dell for your very own Christmas present for $1000.  Today you would receive $80 in your Ebates account and that is just one retailer.  Think what your account would look like if you did all your shopping this way.  This definitely has earned the famous MoneyPenny Seal of Approval.

The other day I was at Peninsula Credit Union wowing the girls with my Ebates check.  They must think that I need to get a life because I'm always telling them about deals and good coupons.  I noticed that they had their Christmas tree up.  After further inspection, I saw that they had tags for ornaments.  Come to find out, there is a program in our county called Tri Area Christmas for Children.

What you do is choose a tag or tags and buy that item.  You then return it, unwrapped, with the tag, to Peninsula Credit Union, no later that December 16th, and they will see that it gets wrapped and to the kids.  It breaks my heart that there are kids in our community that won't get a Christmas present any other way.  Here is my tag:

 
 
You remember that I promised you pictures of my broth making process.  I started with a Costco chicken because I went to my son's house for Thanksgiving so I didn't have a turkey carcass.  All you do is throw your carcass, skin and any other bits into your crockpot.  I added two stalks of celery, some leftover grated carrots, an onion (skin and all), pepper, stalks of thyme from the garden, and a couple of bay leaves.  Cover with water.  This is what it looked like after cooking all night:

 
 
I let it cool so that the fat would harden on the top:
 

After I removed the fat, I ended up with two quarts and one pint of broth for the freezer:


As you can see, this was totally easy peasy.  This is almost free broth from bones that would just have been thrown in the garbage.  And this broth is much tastier and richer than the canned stuff.  Try this out and give old Swanson a run for their money.

Check out these shrooms that are growing all over my front yard.  If anyone knows what they are (I'm thinking the Bookmobile lady might know) let me know.

 




1 comment:

  1. My favourite post title this past week was "Black Friday in Port Hadlock."

    ReplyDelete