Sunday, December 30, 2012

Soup for the Winter Doldrums


As you can plainly see, the amaryllis is getting tall, but still no bulb or second set of leaves.  It might be just bloomed out.  We'll see.  I'll keep hitting it with Miracle Gro and see what happens.

Since my soup file only has two soups that I make on a regular basis, it is easy for me to keep track of the ingredients and make sure I have them on hand when the spirit moves me to make a pot of soup.  A couple of weeks ago QFC had colored peppers on sale, so I grabbed three of them and tucked them away in the crisper.  I also had sour cream left from Christmas dinner, so I was in business.

I cut the peppers in fourths, added an onion, box of cherry tomatoes and garlic cloves and put them in a large bowl.  Then I added salt, pepper, pepper flakes and olive oil and using my hands, mixed it all up and then slid the whole thing out on a large baking sheet, and roasted it for one hour at 400.  Half way through I gave it a good stir.

When the veggies were all roasty and yummy, I dumped them into the blender with a couple cups of chicken broth and gave it a good whirl.  I tasted and added just the right dollop of sour cream to give it smoothness and gave it another whirl.  Done!!

When I had a bowl at lunch with a piece of homemade bread, I was just sure I had died and gone to heaven.  It was so brightly delicious and full of vitamins, it should be illegal.  This picture doesn't do the color justice but you can see how beautiful and smooth it is:


This came in the mail the other day.  Be sure and check anything that comes from Macy's, so that it doesn't get thrown out because it looks like junk mail.  What is so great about it is that it is like a $10 bill to be used at Macy's.  Usually, you have to spend $30 and then get $10 off.  Or, it can't be used on makeup or a myriad of other items.  If your item costs $10, it's free!!


Hummer Update:

I've heard people say that they have hummers all year long but I never have...until now, and they are hitting the feeder hard.  I wish that there was something that I could offer them besides sugar water but I've been told to not add bird vitamins or anything else.  If anyone knows about this, would you let me know??


No comments:

Post a Comment