Wednesday, December 26, 2012

QFC Grocery Basket 12/26


As I was cleaning up after Christmas dinner I got to thinking about my mom.  She used to say that there must have been a mix up at the hospital when I was born because I didn't fit with the family.  It didn't hurt my feelings because I agreed with her.  Surely I belonged with the Astorbilts, not this struggling working class family, but it was Mom who was the oddball, in more ways than one.

During WWII Mom was in the Navy.  She was stationed in Washington, D.C. and that was the happiest time of her life.  We have pictures of her dressed in her uniform and she was the tiniest, cutest thing you ever saw.  She looked to be having so much fun with her friends.  She loved nice clothes and cared about things such as flatware and crystal which didn't go with her life at all after the war. 

She married my dad, a farm boy turned log truck driver and proceeded to have three kids between the end of 1948 and September of 1952.  They really struggled financially until my dad left trucking and bought into the tire business but his heart never left trucking.

My sister and I have come to really appreciate how hard Mom worked for her family.  It was especially difficult for her because she was an intellectual and preferred to be quiet by herself.  Instead she got a husband who loved westerns and three loud and demanding kids who never gave her any peace.

The lovely velvet lined box of flatware was hers and I always take it out for special occasions.  My sister has her crystal.  These things were important to Mom and now they are cherished by us.

And on that note, let's take a look at the QFC ad for this week.  Now, you know that Miss MoneyPenny is suspicious of BOGO when it comes to meat and the chicken breasts that are in the ad are a perfect example of why.  According to the ad you will save up to $7.49 a pound.  Surely they aren't charging $7.49 a pound for chicken breasts!! 

So I called QFC and talked to the butcher.  He said they were $6.99 per pound, so I have no idea where the $7.49 came from, but that means with the BOGO you are paying around $3.50 a pound, which is not that good of a deal.  Be careful with BOGOs when it comes to meat.  You can usually do much better on a price per pound sale.

Here are the standouts this week:

Franz Bread - $2.50/loaf
Seattle Sour Dough Bread - 50% off
Simple Truth Cage Free Eggs - $2.50/doz
Chicken of the Sea Tuna - $1/ea (think food bank)
Valley Fresh Chicken - $1/50z can (food bank)
Classico Pasta Sauce - 50% off (I like their pesto - coupon S/11/18 for $1 off 2)
Chobani Greek Yogurt - $1/6oz
Voskos Greek Yogurt - $1/5.3oz
Softsoap Liquid Hand Soap - $ .88/ea
Pork Shoulder Roast - $1.49/lb
California Cuties Clementines - $4.99/3lb bag ($ .50 coupon S/12/2/)
Large Lemons - $ .50/ea
Medium Hass Avocados - $1/ea
Roma Tomatoes - $1.25/lb

Leftover reminder:

Take care of any leftover holiday meat before it goes bad.  That prime rib was expensive.  I have a couple of thick slices of prime rib left that is going to go into a tasty soup.  When I waited tables down at the Rafters in Portland in the 70s, they used to take the leftover prime rib and au jus and make a very popular soup the next day.  This is delicious with vegetables, with or without noodles.  I have a couple of leftover baked potatoes that I'm going to cube up and throw in, also.  Any leftover veggies are good, too.

I'm going to freeze the ribs for that day in deepest winter when I will slobber them up with barbecue sauce and wrap them in foil and slow bake them.  It will be just the ticket to get me out of the doldrums that February can bring.


No comments:

Post a Comment