Wednesday, December 12, 2012

QFC Grocery Basket 12/12/12

 

                           

 
Isn't it just like Miss MoneyPenny to ruin your grocery shopping day by showing a disgusting picture of food waste??  There is a method to my madness here and I thought that shopping day was the perfect day to make my point. 
 
Miss MaggieMay and I were talking about this today and we came up with a brilliant solution - don't buy so much food every week and eat up what you do have in the pantry and freezer and produce crisper first.  Genius!! 
 
The big drawback here is that shopping and cooking in order to not waste food takes planning and attention, which is something that our grandmothers were pretty good at.  Especially if they lived through the Depression.  My Grandma DeBolt was a fabulous cook and she did not waste a thing.  I still have this memory of her making baked beans and shaking up the last of the mustard with a little water to get every last bit out. 
 
Last year about this time I ran some cool graphs about food waste and this post was the all time most popular post that Miss MoneyPenny has done, so I thought I would show some more.  I got this one from treehugger.com and it is a good one:
 

 
             

                                            

Pretty amazing, isn't it??  And according to Dr. Andrew Weil we waste 20 pounds per person per month, up 50% from 1970!!  This is just in the United States but is also a problem in other countries.

Anyway, I hope you are not too bummed to go shopping because QFC has a decent ad this week.  Kraft and General Mills are running a Buy 6, Save $6 promotion, so now would be a good time to stock up on their products, like cereal.  Before you shop be sure and check couponmom.com for coupons to make it a really good deal.

Here is my list of worthy deals thinking ahead to Christmas baking and dinner:

C&H Granulated Sugar - $2.50/2lb ($ .50 coupon 11/4/RP)
Gold Medal Flour - $2.50/5lb
Kroger Brown/Powdered Sugar - $2/2lb
McCormick Spices - 50% off ($ .50 coupon 12/2/RP)
Starbucks Coffee - $6.99/12oz ($3 off 2 coupon 12/2/S)
Philadelphia Cream Cheese - $1/8oz
QFC Sour Cream - $1/16oz
QFC Whipping Cream - $1/16oz
Tillamook Butter - $2.50/lb
Tillamook Yogurt - $ .50/6oz
Beef Rib Roast - $7.99/lb - this price may go down so I'm waiting a week
Hormel Cure 81 Spiral Ham - $1.79/lb ($2 coupon 11/4/S)
Fresh Dover Sole - $5.99/lb
California Cuties Clementines - $4.99/3lb ($ .50 coupon 12/2/S)
Colored Bell Peppers - $1/ea
English Cucumbers - $1/ea
Sweet Potatoes - $ .99/lb

Peggy, my daughter-in-law has come up with a good solution to holiday meal waste.  No appetizers!!  It works.  On Thanksgiving we were all so hungry that we ate everything and she said that she just had some mashed potatoes left over.  I agree.  Who wants to spend all that money and all that time cooking and everybody comes to the table full from the appetizers??  This is such a great idea that I can't believe Miss MoneyPenny didn't think of it first.


                   

No comments:

Post a Comment