Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Prime Rib for Christmas

                              


Yesterday I had a visit with the butcher when I was at QFC.  He assured me that rib roast was not going to go for less than $7.99 a pound, so I picked up a nice six pounder.  Last year they went for $6.99 a pound at QFC but the cost of food is going up, so I should be grateful that it isn't any worse.

 Anyway, I've had good luck with their rib roasts in the past and they have cooked up tender and flavorful using my easy peasy method of roasting.  Ha!!  I bet you were worried that I was gonna put it in my crockpot, since I've been on a real binge lately, but it is going in the oven.

Last year after I wrote the prime rib post, my sister said that she had changed up our method a little and was quite happy with the results, so I tried it, with a change of my own.  She was right.  The flavor was wonderful and it looked just like the above picture.  Nice and crusty on the outside and tender on the inside.  Perfect!!

When you are buying your rib roast, you figure one rib per two people, so a three rib should feed six people generously.  Stick with this formula because one year I told the butcher that I was feeding six people when I pre-ordered and ended up with a $120 piece of meat!! so, be careful.

Roasting a rib roast really is easy peasy if you follow these instructions.  I've had terrible results when I cooked at a high temperature, so I roast at 325 for 30 minutes per pound to desired doneness, but keep your meat thermometer handy.  This is just a rough guide to use for planning dinner time.

Pat the roast dry with paper towels, then rub liberally all over with Worcestershire sauce, then with olive oil.  When you have it all oiled up, season heavily with Montreal Steak Seasoning, giving it a good rub down.  Roast it fat side up, uncovered.  When it is about 15 minutes from being done to your liking, remove it from the oven and tent it with foil for a nice rest, so the juices can redistribute.  That is it.  Couldn't be easier.

Baked or mashed potatoes traditionally go with prime rib but I love my sister's oyster stuffing and she has given up her recipe and I'm gonna share.

Fresh oysters - she suggests getting 3 times what you need
Eggs
Seasoned cracker crumbs
Flour
Seasoned stuffing cubes
Celery & onions
Chicken broth
Butter

Dredge your oysters in flour, then beaten eggs, then seasoned cracker crumbs.  Fry slowly in oil on medium heat.  When done, pass the lemons and eat them, saving enough for the stuffing.  This is how we do it, really!!

In one cube of butter, slowly saute chopped celery and onions.  In large bowl, mix stuffing cubes, vegetables & butter, and several eggs (you decide, this is a loose recipe).  Add chicken broth until you get the consistency that you like.  We don't like mushy stuffing.

In a buttered oblong dish, layer stuffing, then oysters, then stuffing, etc. until you run out of layers.  Roast with your meat, covered or uncovered, or both.

This is so good and it goes with turkey or prime rib.  I've been known to only eat this and my mom's yeast rolls at Christmas dinner.

P.S. Don't throw out those meaty ribs because they are unbelievable grilled with barbecue sauce the next day.  If it is too cold for grilling outside, wrap in foil and roast in the oven at 350.  I told the butcher about this and he says that he always does it, hiding the bones after he carves.  Good idea, that hiding thing.  There is always someone who wants to gnaw on a bone.

No comments:

Post a Comment