Monday, February 13, 2012

King Leftover

Now, you know from some of the disgusting pictures that Miss MoneyPenny has been posting that food waste equals money down the drain in the MP household.  I would have more fun just setting dollar bills on fire than not paying attention and letting good food go to waste. 

I don't know when I decided that it was okay to waste food.  I certainly didn't get that from Mom.  She fed us stuff that SHOULD have been thrown out.  Really!!  And she was a butter wrapper scraper.  I bet everyone has one of those in their family who lived through the first big depression in the thirties.  In fact, I'm going to try and hunt down somebody who can tell me how they ran their households and fed their families in such a tough time. 

Anyway, times are a-changing and a lot of us are finally getting IT.  Learning, or in my case, relearning a better way to do things isn't easy.  Planning and careful management of the food we eat is a skill that will really pay off in all kinds of ways, not just in our food budget.  You will really learn to stretch those creative muscles when you have to come up with a recipe using a cup of cooked brown rice, the bottom of a jar of pesto and a couple of chicken wings before they go bad.  Also, the landfill will thank you.

Here is a link to an article about using up leftovers that I thought you might find interesting.  If you have some good ideas, let me know by leaving a comment.  I love comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment