Friday, February 17, 2012

Grocery Basket 2/17

Yesterday Miss CutiePie and I were talking about how lame the grocery ads have been lately and it got me to thinking about how the way I shop for groceries has changed in the last year.  These days, my food shopping has morphed into a "hunter/gatherer" technique and I like it better. 

Now, I don't want you to get all worried and think that Miss MoneyPenny is out hunting deer or anything crazy like that.  I'll leave that kind of activity to Mr. CutiePie.  I'm the kind of person who carefully, with Kleenex, removes the spider from the bathtub and carries him over to the nearest plant. 

What I'm talking about is keeping a close eye on food prices and where I can get the best deal.  I gather things from Costco, Trader Joes, QFC, Safeway and Chimacum Corners.  In the summer, I regularly visit Shannon at World Peace Produce up on the highway.  And we can't forget the garden.

I don't go to these places every week.  That would be madness!!  I shop the loss leaders and use coupons at QFC and Safeway if there is anything of interest.  I hit Costco once a month after their coupons come out and Trader Joe's a couple of times, since I'm in Silverdale once a week for Weight Watchers.  I do shop every week at Chimacum Corners for their local organic produce and meat.  That store is really coming on.  They are open seven days a week and keep adding more and more items.  And the people who work there are very pleasant.

Here are the deals at QFC this week:

Kraft barbecue sauce (stock up for summer) - buy 10/pay .69 ea/get $2 coupon for next trip
QFC large eggs (dozen) - 4/$5
Colgate toothpaste - $1 ea (coupon S/1/29 .50) = .50 ea
Draper Valley whole chicken - .89/lb
Blueberries - $3.88/18 oz
Del Monte melons - 2/$6
Organic navel oranges - $1/lb

Food waste update:


What is it, you say?  These are individual servings of humus that I bought at Costco a couple of years ago that have been languishing in my freezer.  I bought them thinking that I need to eat more protein, but I dislike beans and beany things, so what on earth was I thinking?

Cha ching: $8 or so, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment