Friday, August 26, 2011

QFC Parking Lot Mums

Miss MoneyPenny thinks she may be onto something with parking lot plants.  All my pots have done really well this year, which is a first, let me tell you.  I get full hot sun all day on my deck and it has taken me 16 years to get it.  My plants have to be tough, hence, parking lot girls.

 I mentioned in my last post that I was going to check out the 3/$10 gallons of mums in this week's sale.  There were several colors, including the ever important white, and they looked healthy.  I chose white, lemon and a rusty colored one - we are talking fall colors here.  Some of them were already flowering and were gorgeous.  It was hard not to choose them for instant gratification, but I went with the buds.  Check them out:



I also took some quick pictures of my begonias.  I bought the last three sickly begonia starts that they had.  They were in pretty bad shape, but they were cheap.  I picked off all the dead stuff and potted them in my begonia pot in a mixture of compost and Miracle Grow potting soil.  They did pretty good considering what a cool summer we have had up until now:



I picked a nice mess of green beans this afternoon and a few cherry tomatoes.  This is a strange picture of my garden.  I don't water the grass, as you can tell.  My sun gold tomato is really taking over the garden as you also can tell, or maybe not, what with my photography:


This is the least amount of money that I have spent on my summer gardening, ever, and I have been quite happy with the results.  I realize that I don't have exotic beauties, but I haven't had disappointment either. 

I have no idea why my sentences are centering themselves, but it is kind of cool, don't you think?  Gives the place some class.  Oh, I fixed it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment