Wednesday, September 4, 2013

QFC Grocery Basket 9/4

 

 This spring I bought a little bitty coreopsis plant hoping that it would turn into a real showstopper and it didn't disappoint.  The above picture is mine nestled in with the sedums.  Below is the image that I posted on May 1st that I was hoping to match.  What do you think??


Granted, their photography is much better than mine but you can see that she is blooming her head off and has been pretty much all summer.  A real winner in my book.

So onto the QFC ad this week.  They are running the Buy 5, Save $5 promo again and I am of two minds about these kinds of deals.  How many times have you bought something that you really didn't need to meet the threshold so you could get the deal on something that you did want??  I know I have.  One time, to get the price, I even bought a couple packs of those Goldfish snacks which immediately attached themselves to my love handles.  I'm not saying don't do the deal but think about it.  Is it really a deal??

Here are my suggestions this week:

New York Strip Steaks - $6.99/lb
Wild Fresh King Salmon - $12.99/lb
Broccoli/Cauliflower - $ .99/lb
Cukes/Green Peppers - $ .68/ea
Honeycrisp Apples - $2.49/lb
Mayan Sweet Onions - $1/lb
Personal Watermelon - $2.99/ea
Peaches/Nectarines - $1.49/lb
Zucchini, Yellow Squash - $1.39/lb
Green Beans - $1.39/lb

I heard on the news the other day that Washington State is having a record apple producing year, so I'm curious as to why the first of the season Honeycrisp apples are going for $2.49 a pound.  That seems like highway robbery to me.  One apple could come close to $2 at that price!!  Maybe I will put in some apple trees.  My friend, Miss Claudia, gardener extraordinaire, tells me that the dwarf Liberty apple works well here.  You have to have at least two to tango and make apples.





1 comment:

  1. Love the Coreopsis! I may need to get one or two of those little cuties. I couldn't tell how big they are? What is the measurement?

    I roasted my green beans last night and YUM!! I didn't have any pepper flakes so I verrrry carefully sprinkled on some cayenne pepper. I think the green beans taste MUCH better roasted. I ended up gobbling 1/2 of them while waiting for them to cool and put in the fridge. I added them to my salad today at lunch and again.... YUM!! The flavor of the roast and the teeniest bit of heat put the flavor over the top! Thanks for the recipe! (Of course, I have been copying everything MMP does since I was a teenager :-)

    ReplyDelete