Wednesday, September 11, 2013

QFC Grocery Basket 9/11



It has sure been a rough year for local yarn shops.  First Port Hadlock Yarns closed their doors and now I hear that Linda's Knit 'n Stitch is going out of business down in Silverdale.  Lucky for us knitters that we have Bazaar Girls in Port Townsend.  This is a great little shop behind where the old Town Tavern used to be and it comes complete with a deck facing the water where you can knit and drink a latte. 

I know that the Internet is hard on our local shops but if we want to go in and feel the yarn love, we have to support them...and I did with the above ball of sock yarn.  How could I resist Drop Dead Sexy from the ladies at Socks That Rock??  This colorway works for both sexy men and sexy women.

So, the ad.  QFC is still running their Buy 5/Save $5 promo.  As I mentioned in an earlier post I'm lukewarm on these promos, but...that being said, if you have some good coupons to match up for laundry and cleaning supplies check them out.  I think that I get a better deal at Costco with their coupons but you have to have the space to deal with the large size.

If you are having a late summer BBQ this weekend, whole Coho salmon is on sale for $6.99 a pound.  Seasoned up and wrapped in foil makes for tasty eating for a crowd.  I talked to the fish lady and she told me that the king salmon should last a couple more weeks so take advantage of it, if you love it, and I do.

Here are the highlights of this week's ad:

Orowheat Bread - $2.49/loaf
Tully's Coffee - $5.99/12oz
Tillamook Butter - $2/lb (freezes well for holiday baking)
Draper Valley Whole Chickens - $ .99/lb
USDA Ribeye Steaks - $5.99/lb
Wild Fresh Whole Coho - $6.99/lb
Wild Fresh Columbia River King Salmon - $12.99/lb
Wild Fresh Dover Sole - $5.99/lb
Medium Hass Avocados - $ .99/ea
Organic Gala Apples - $1.99/lb
Leaf Lettuce - $1.50/head
Roma Tomatoes - $ .99/lb
Sweet Tango Apples - $1.99/lb
Peaches/Nectarines - $ .99/lb

I'm going to buy a couple of the whole chickens and cook them in the crockpot.  I've used my last package of frozen cooked chicken so I need to restore my stash.  You can click here for my easy peasy method.  After the chicken has cooled I pick off all the meat and pack it into several freezer bags.  My sister, Miss SmartyPants, then puts the carcass and skin back into the crockpot with water and makes broth.  All of this will come in handy when the weather turns cold and we want to make a big pot of chicken noodle soup or chicken and dumplings.

No comments:

Post a Comment