Wednesday, September 18, 2013

QFC Grocery Basket 9/18





This reminds me of some of the forts that us kids used to make back in Myrtle Creek, Oregon.  Actually these are the cushions from the deck.  My deck is in almost total shade now and I thought that I would take advantage of the two promised days of sunshine and give the cushions a good cleaning before they get stored away for the winter.  If they don't get all the way dried before the rains come, I'll bring them inside and give them the rack treatment. I know it seems early for this chore but I have seen it start raining around here in September and not quit until the next July.

There are a couple of things that I'm going to pick up for the food bank this week at QFC - Angel Soft Bath Tissue and Crest Toothpaste - both going for a dollar.  And remember that if you have lots of extra produce from your garden, the food bank would love to have it.

Here are this week's highlights from the ad:

Nancy's Yogurt - $2.50/qt
Crest Toothpaste - $1/ea
Angel Soft Bath Tissue - $1/4pk
Nature Made Vitamins - BOGO
Fresh NW Cooked Shrimp Meat - $5.99/lb
Fresh Wild Columbia River King Salmon - $12.99/lb
Fresh Dover Sole - $5.99/lb
Black Plums - $1.49/lb
Broccoli/Cauliflower - $ .99/lb
Green Onions/Radishes - $ .50/bunch
Eggplant - $2/ea
Sweet Tango Apples - $1.99/lb

I have lots of tomatoes and onions, so I'm going to pick up an eggplant and a bell pepper and make ratatouille.  You can do all kinds of things with it but this time I'm going to pair it with some homemade polenta.  Very tasty, indeed.  Polenta is super easy to make and I've never had problems with lumps like you hear about.  Instead of adding butter, I add a spoon of pesto to make it beyond delicious.

Alert!!:

It occurred to me yesterday that September is when my vehicles tabs expire (they don't send me out a notice any more) so I had better get on it.  I went online and filled in all the pertinent data.  I asked that they mail the tabs to me as usual.  A notice came up telling me that my tabs will expire on September 20th!!  They don't even give you until the end of the month any more.

This whole deal feels like a real moneymaker for the state.  First - you don't remember when your tabs are due and you get a ticket.  Or you fool around like I did and don't get them ordered in time and you drive around with expired tabs and get a ticket, especially if you have gung-ho law enforcement like we do here.  My best advice is to put a reminder on your calendar or on your phone so you don't get caught off guard.

I just followed my own advice.












No comments:

Post a Comment