Friday, April 19, 2013

Refrigerator CleanOut Phad Thai


I went over to Tina's to get this picture.  Her pot is just SpringTime and gorgeous.  Actually her whole yard looks great, with the rhodies and azaleas coming into bloom.

This is what my tulips look like:


They are coming up all over the flower beds, even in the middle of other plants and shrubs.  Last year when they did this, I gathered them all up after they were done blooming and planted them altogether on the east side of the house.  They are just about to bloom, but what is with the rest of these guys??  Here they are again.  They are definitely travellin' men.  I'm told the bulbs are moved around by something that is planning on eating them.  Really??  What could it be??

Anyway, this morning I was digging around in the fridge checking out what was just about to get away from me and I came up with these poor guys:


As you can see they are on their last legs and pretty withery.  For some crazy reason they just said Phad Thai to me, so I trolled the web and came up with some recipes for the sauce, which is the most important part.  After looking in the pantry to see what I had, I substituted.  I didn't have tamarind but I did have rice wine vinegar.  From my research it looks like the sauce is equal parts, sour, sweet and salty.  I also added a good jolt of sirrachi and soy sauce to the mix:


I set the noodles to boil and chopped up the veggies:


Then I heated olive oil with two cloves of garlic for a few seconds, then the veggies with a shot of the sauce:


Instead of shrimp (seafood is trying to kill me) I added some frozen cooked chicken:


When that was cooked, I scrambled an egg in the middle:


Then the noodles and another jolt of sauce:


And before I ate it:


It was amazingly delicious!!  I used about half of that killer sauce which really made the dish and I have leftovers to look forward to.

Here is the recipe.  You can switch out the veggies with whatever you have on hand and even add chopped peanuts and bean sprouts to make it really authentic.

For the sauce:

  • 1/4 c rice wine vinegar
  • 1/4 c fish sauce
  • 1/4 c brown sugar
  • good jolt soy sauce
  • another good jolt sirrachi (Rooster Sauce)

  • 1T olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • veggies (your choice)
  • shrimp or chicken or tofu (if you can stand it)
  • 1 egg
  • cooked noodles
This is easy peasy.  Basically you make the sauce first.  You can marinate raw chicken/shrimp/tofu in it, or everything else, for that matter.  You set the noodles to boil and chop up your veggies.  When your pan is hot, add the oil and garlic, then the meat (if not precooked).  When it is done, remove and add veggies, and stir fry.  When done, add the meat back in and make a well in the center of the pan and scramble an egg.  Add the noodles and a good shot of the sauce and mix.  Eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment