Wednesday, April 17, 2013

QFC Grocery Basket 4/17


Mr. SuperGenius dropped by the other day and he was wondering how retirement was treating me.  I told him that as long as I can garden and read good books I'm fat and happy.  So when I saw this on Pinterest I knew that there were others out there like me.  By the way, I got an email that my granddaughter is following me on Pinterest which I find puzzling because I can't figure out how to work that site!!  I just go in and look at all the pretty pictures and have yet to figure out how to pin stuff.  Time for lunch with Miss CutiePie because she is all over it and can maybe get me going.

I get my seed potatoes from Mr. SG and he gets them from his parents who are amazing gardeners.  This year he brought over seven different varieties with names like Mountain Rose, Crackled Butterball, Desiree, and Purple Majesty.  If you haven't grown potatoes, you haven't lived.  I've never been a potato eating person but these are totally different and easy to grow.  My garden is still too cold and wet so I'm waiting a couple of weeks to plant, maybe longer, depending on the weather.


As I look at this week's QFC ad, I again marvel at how much of what is called food isn't really food, but something cooked up in a lab by amoral chemists.  Sorry - I got carried away there and let you know what I really think.  Anyway, MMP's job is to wade through all this and find real food, so you can get good value for your money.  QFC is still running the Buy 5, Save $5 promotion and a lot of items are not in the ad, so look for your faves, because they might be on sale.

Here are my suggestions this week:

Tide Laundry Detergent - $4.99/50oz promo
Best Foods Mayonnaise - $2.79/30 oz promo

QFC Cottage Cheese - $1.88/24oz
QFC Large Eggs - $1.50/doz
Draper Valley Whole Chicken - $ .89/lb (chicken & dumplings)
Simple Truth Ground Beef - $5.99/lb
Fresh Wild Dover Sole - $5.99/lb
Driscoll Strawberries - $2/lb (strawberry shortcake)
Colored Bell Peppers - $1/ea
English Cucumbers - $1/ea
Organic Cameo Apples - $1/lb
Organic Navel Oranges - $1/lb
Red Tomatoes on the Vine - $1.99/lb
Red, Green Leaf, Romaine Lettuce - $1/ea
Tulips - $10/3 bunches

Now, you know how Miss MoneyPenny is suspicious, if not downright hostile, when it comes to Big Food.  I've been reading a new book - Salt Sugar Fat by Michael Moss and it looks like I'm right to be concerned about processed food.

Readers of MMP know that she has a bad Coffee Mate addiction and has been unable to give it up.  Well, there is a reason for this after all and it ain't pretty.  And before you worry that I'm becoming a conspiracy nut check out the label on Sugar Free Coffee Mate under sugar.  It says 0, right??, but in the ingredients list corn syrup is the second ingredient(??) and it makes you wonder how diabetics are making out with this stuff.

These guys are not your friend and what they are doing to our kids is just criminal.  If your children are not eating home cooked food, they are getting on average 22 teaspoons of added sugar a day.  This is the average.  Some kids are getting lots more.  And this doesn't even take into account the added strange fats, salts, and unpronounceable chemicals.  Makes me want to hit the kitchen and get to cooking and run those guys out of business, because money is what this is all about, after all.


No comments:

Post a Comment