Wednesday, April 24, 2013

QFC Grocery Basket 4/24


I snapped this over at Tina's the other day.  She gets the most bang for her buck in the spring when her whole yard is abloom and it is a thrill to look out my bedroom window and take it all in.  Her rhodies are crazy!! something I've never been good at growing.

So I needed flea medicine.  The fleas got away from me last year and it cost me a small fortune to get them under control again.  I would put Frontline on them and two weeks later, Advantage.  I did this all winter before they finally yelled uncle.  I hate that stuff but I hate fleas more.

I did some cost comparisons including Costco, PetCareRX, and 1800PetMeds.  I ended up going with 1800PetMeds because they were the cheapest and had free shipping and no tax.  I did not go through Ebates because neither one (excluding Costco) of them accepts combined offers and I did not want to get stuck with just the 6% from Ebates, since I had a 10% off coupon.

This is what my three month supply order looked like:

Frontline Plus for Small Dogs        $79.98

Frontline Plus for Cats                    41.99

less 10% coupon                         - 12.10

Total                                          $108.87

Highway robbery.  What happened to the good old days when you could buy a flea collar for under $5??

Okay.  The ad this week has nothing in it that really flips my skirt except the asparagus.  The top sirloin steaks are going for $4.99 a pound and that is a pretty good deal.  They need to be marinated or they can be tough but taste great.  These are the kind of steaks that we barbecued back in the lean days in Portland, so I'm an old hand at getting them tender.  Here are my suggestions this week:

QFC Cottage Cheese - $1.25/16oz
Angus Top Sirloin Steak - $4.99/lb
Fresh Wild Rockfish - $5.99/lb
Anjou Pears - $1/lb
Asparagus - $1.99/lb
Driscoll's Strawberries - $2/lb
Organic Large Navel Oranges - $1/lb
Organic Fuji Apples - $1/lb
Vidalia Onions - $1/lb

The Vidalias reminded me of when we would head over to Sellwood Park which was just two blocks kitty-corner from where we lived in Portland.  This is an old fashioned beautiful park and very popular for summer evening cookouts because they had lots of grills.  We would pack up the marinated steaks and baked potatoes to throw on the grill, along with the beer and everything else, and head out.

The way we did the potatoes was cut a baker in half, season both halves, and stick a thick slice of onion in the middle.  Then put it back together and wrap it in heavy foil.  They went on the grill before the steaks because they took the longest but cutting them in half sped up the process.  Shockingly delicious!! but most food is when you are enjoying a picnic.

No comments:

Post a Comment