Friday, April 5, 2013

April - The Best Month to Buy...


I headed up to my local garden center this morning for strawberry plants.  I had already cleaned up my strawberry pot and set it atop the strawberry palace (I have no idea why I think it should be there) and planted the three vagrant plants that I found growing in my garden.  Since I have never planted strawberries in my garden, I'm assuming that the plants came in via the birds, or God.  They looked healthy so I planted 'em, because strawberry plants are $2.99 each.

I chose a mixture of Eversweet, Tristar, and Quinault - all everbearing berries.  Lindy, the garden center lady, my new BFF, says that the plants usually bear for about five years.  If there are runners, I intend on using them to keep the patch up and running.  She also gave me two plants for free because we are best buds now.  You'll notice that I have artfully arranged the doggy denying hardware.

So, if you have any money left after tax time, and I sure don't, you can be on the lookout for some good deals this month, if you are in the market.  Here is my list:
  • Car Accessories & Parts
  • Tires
  • Laptops
  • Office Furniture
  • Televisions
  • Vacuum Cleaners
  • Slow Cookers
  • Cruises (if you dare)
  • Sneakers
  • Heartworm check for your dog at the vet
You should also be seeing sales on seasonal produce:
  • Artichokes
  • Asparagus
  • Beets
  • Grapefruit
  • Hass Avocados
  • Onions
  • Peas
  • Rhubarb
I bought some asparagus that was on sale last week at QFC.  Last night when the chicken was almost done roasting, I put the asparagus in a saute pan with butter, lemon, salt and pepper.  I gave it a few shakes and put the lid on and went off to answer emails.  By the time I remembered it, it was very close to being burned, I mean blackened.  In the spirit of the Expendable Edibles ladies, instead of throwing it out, I just renamed it.  Guess what??  It was really good that way.  Another minute would have been too much, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment