Saturday, February 9, 2013

Shopping Costco



Now, you knew it was coming, didn't you??  And, yeah, Costco has earned the famous MoneyPenny Seal of Approval.  I can't believe that I haven't gotten around to bestowing the honor sooner because Miss MoneyPenny loves Costco.

Shopping Costco is tricky if you live on a budget and it took me several years to get it down.  In fact, I avoided even going there for years because I could not get out of there for under $200.  That all ended when my daughter-in-law put me on her family account (she works there) and I no longer have to pay the yearly fee.  I decided that I was going to figure out how to get the best and most for my money at Costco and I did and I'm gonna share.

The first thing that I did was set a monthly budget for Costco of $120.  You know how easy it is to blow that, so I keep a pad on the fridge, with a running list and the prices, so I always know where I'm at.  When it is time for my monthly shopping trip, I sit down with my list and the Costco coupon book.  Matching a coupon with a product means a really good price, so I stock up as much as my budget will allow.

Speaking of stocking up - I rarely buy Costco's wonderful produce because I just can't get through it before it goes bad.  I do buy bananas and in season - strawberries, but that is it.

As I look at my list, I realize that a lot of the items are only purchased once a year, if that, but that is the beauty of Costco, isn't it??  I also buy my tires and smart phones there.  Oh, and a cruise to Alaska, coming up in September.

If I should see some enticing thing while I'm shopping at Costco and it isn't on my list, I put it on the list for next time.  Half the time I end up crossing it off after thinking about it.  And I always use my Costco American Express card to get cash back at the end of the year.

Here is my surprisingly long list of what I buy at Costco:

Kirkland Dark Roast Supremo Coffee (3lb can)
Coffee Mate
Lipton Tea
Clorox Bleach
Spray 'n Wash (Resolve)
Kirkland Fabric Softener
Vinegar & Baking Soda
Palmolive Dish Soap
Kirkland Salmon & Sweet Potato Dog Food (35lb bag)
Friskies Canned Cat Food (48 cans)
Litter Purrfect (35lb jug)
Kleenex
Kirkland Bath Tissue
Kirkland Kitchen Garbage Bags
Kirkland Paper Towels
Sluggo (I've got lots of snails!!)
Gardening Gloves (6 pack)
Cetaphil Cleanser
Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream
Dove Bath Soap
Refresh Plus Eye Drops (100 count)
Trunature Digestive Probiotics
Aller-Tec (generic Zyrtec)
Kirkland Ibuprofen (generic Advil)
Sonicare Replacement Brushes
Kirkland Vitamin C
Kirkland CoQ10
Nature Made Fish Oil
Oatmeal (10 pounds)
Whole Almonds (3 pounds-store in freezer)
Bananas
Chicken Thighs (separate into packs for freezer)
Cheese
Rotisserie Chicken
Olive Oil
Nalley Dill Pickles (very good deal)
Salad Croutons
Frozen Fruit (smoothies)
Kirkland Albacore Tuna (very high quality)
Kirkland Honey

I've really honed this list over the years to items that get used and don't go bad, and it is a work in progress.  The size, quality and price make these good deals, and when you add in a coupon, your deal is that much sweeter.  What does your list look like??  Feel free to post it in the "comments" section.  I'd love to see it.






3 comments:

  1. In an earlier post you mentioned LLBean not having a Phone Tree. Well, trees are such noble beings; they really shouldn't be used in such a derogatory phrase, don't you agree? How about Phone Web?
    Getting caught in one is always a nasty surprise.
    Remember that cartoon panel we had? "To return to the main menu, say goddam-son-of-a-bitch."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your daughter inlaw buys the basics and things that get returned that are marked down.seasonal items are fun as well.working there,I spend way too much......but I do get 2% cash back by being an executive member.......missmoneypincher has got to love that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss Withdrawal PantsFebruary 12, 2013 at 10:17 AM

    LOL!!! I have said MUCH worse than that!

    On the serious side, I decided that Aspartame needs to leave my life. Thinking that my body would be so happy that I have given up that nasty nasty chemical, it would reward me with energy, clarity and overall good feelings. WRONG!! I'm having terrible withdrawals! Joint pain - can hardly walk on my ankles at times. Muscle cramps. Hot flashes, especially at night. Coldest hands and feet that I have ever had. Muscle twitching. Blurred vision. Shoulder and neck pain (worse than normal). All over achiness. Tremendously tired. Not to mention grumpiness. I decided that surely I must have something serious wrong so I did a little research and come to find out if you have been comsuming this ugly little chemical for some time (diet products), it has taken up residence in your system and has convinced your body that you MUST have it. Your body does NOT want to let go of it and you are now in the throws of withdrawals. It's been a week and finally I feel a little better this morning. I've been making myself work out on the eliptical (speaking of Costco - their healthrider eliptical is a killer!), walk, drink lots of water (I've been mixing juice with sparkling mineral water when I get the craving for the Diet Pepsi), eating lots of fruits and vegies and almost no processed food. Some people have lingering effects of Aspartame in their systems for up to a year. If you read what the scientists say about this chemical, it will scare the bejeebers out of you!

    ReplyDelete