Miss MoneyPenny Stretches a Buck
Tuesday, February 12, 2013
And Another Word on Tax Prep From Miss SmartyPants
My sister left another information filled comment on an earlier post about tax prep and I want to make sure that you see it. If she adds more information, I will put it up. I stopped by the pharmacy today and picked up my print-out of prescription co-pays for 2012 like she suggested in her last comment. No more saving all those little slips. I've also put the mileage next to my medical appointments in my calendar and circled them. Now all I have to do is add it up.
Miss Smarty Tax Pants
February 12, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Tax deductions overlooked often:
1) Interest paid on second home, which includes travel trailers, motor homes, certain boats
2) Points paid to purchase a home
3) Real estate taxes on all properties owned by taxpayer
4) Real estate taxes paid when buying and selling property on closing statements
5) Exchange student living with taxpayer. Can claim $50 per full calendar month of qualifying expenses.
6) Medical mileage to doctors, hospitals, refill prescriptions, etc. @ .23 (2012) or .24 (2013) for each mile. If you have had a lot of appointments or specialists out of the area, you would be amazed at how this adds up.
6) Medical travel for out of town - hotels, ferries, tolls, parking, etc. You can't take food costs as the IRS thinks you have to eat anyway... spoil sports...
I'll post more tips later... Now, I must get back to work!
Tomorrow is my "meet and greet" appointment with the hand surgeon to schedule carpal tunnel surgery. I've never been to his office and did not know how far it was, so I Googled him and got the mileage. Every little bit helps when we are talking the IRS.
Share to Twitter
Share to Facebook
Share to Pinterest
Post a Comment
Post Comments (Atom)