Thursday, February 21, 2013

Luscious Latin Lovelies


 
 I was really surprised to see a hummer at the feeder this morning when I fogged out to the kitchen to hit the switch on the coffee pot.  It was 6:30 and still pretty much dark.  What time do those guys get up, anyway??   I worry that sugar water is not enough to keep them going until summer, but the bird lady at the store says that it is.  It shouldn't be too much longer and we will see the traveling Rufous tribe coming up from the south for their summer digs.  Between them and our year round Anna tribe the feeders are going to get a work out, so be ready.

I re-posted the pictures of my beloved begonias from last year to remind myself of why I am so crazy in love with these beauties.  My dear daughter-in-law, Miss PeggyRae, got me started on them one Mother's Day, and I'm so hooked.  I usually buy starts at the nursery but since I've now got a greenhouse, I'm going for the gusto and going to start my own.

Yesterday, while I was at Costco getting my passport photo taken ($4.99) and my tires rotated (for free) I picked up this pack of begonia bulbs:



They had other colors but I fell for Pink Balcony and Angelique, and I'm gonna mix them up, and probably  add some trailing lobelia to the mix to make everything shockingly gorgeous.  They were $11.99 for eight bulbs, which comes out to $1.50 each.  I can't wait!!

Carpal tunnel update:

I'm having the surgery on both !! hands on the 28th.  Miss MaggieMae is driving me and when it is done, we are swooping up my handsome grandson, Eli, and he is going to stay with me and be my hands for a few days.  While he is here, he is going to tackle some things that need to be done around the house like clean out the garden shed, de-mold the roof, scrub the north side of the house and deck, haul many bags of manure and potting soil, and most important of all - put my greenhouse together.

I really am looking forward to him being here because we like the same kind of movies and food, especially pizza.  I'm pretty darn lucky to have a grandson that actually likes to spend time with me.



No comments:

Post a Comment