Wednesday, October 24, 2012

QFC Grocery Basket 10/24




Is this sad, or what??  Heartbreaking is what it is.  My old girl, the begonia, couldn't take it any more and gave up the ghost, but not to worry as she will be back in all her glory next summer.

Even though the begonia told me that it was autumn, I've been getting some clues in my food choices.  Gone are the glasses of iced tea, fresh salads, berries and melons.  Now I'm craving cups of hot tea and honey, oatmeal for breakfast, and big steaming bowls of soup.  I was even thrilled with a bowl of split pea soup over at the Farm's Reach Cafe the other day, when I would normally turn up my nose.

Last week I made soup out of the leftover pot roast and veggies and it was delicious.  This week I dug around in the freezer and came up with a bag of meat that I picked from the carcass of a Costco chicken and made spicy chicken soup.  I also used the broth made from that same carcass and onions pulled from the garden.  Very tasty, in deed.

Anyway, we need to go grocery shopping and QFC is running their 10 for $10 promotion and they are having deals on all frozen pizzas.  When you go to the store, look around because there are many things on the 10 for $10 promo that would work well for the food bank.  It is cold out there and folks are hungry.

These are what I consider to be the highlights this week:

Rosarita Refried Beans - $1/ea (coupon for $ .50 off 3 in S/9/16)
Oikos Greek Yogurt - $1/ea 5.3 oz
QFC Sour Cream - $1/16 oz
Crest Toothpaste - $1/ea (coupon in Oct PG for $ .50 off)
Herbal Essences - $2.50 (coupon RP/10/7 for $1 off 2)
Beef Boneless Chuck Roast - BOGO
Fresh Rockfish Fillets - $5.99/lb
Broccoli or Cauliflower - $1/lb
Honeycrisp Apples - $1.68/lb
Jumbo Pomegranates - $2.50/ea
Nature Sweet Cherry Tomatoes - $3/10.5 oz
Red, Yellow or Orange Bell Peppers - $1/ea

I'm thinking that I will roast cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, garlic and onions from the garden and then give them a whirl in the Vita-Mix with chicken broth and seasonings and a little sour cream.  This makes a great soup, especially if you add a small hot pepper or pepper flakes to the mix.  Very spicy and addictive.

Food Waste Update:


This is plain and simple waste on my part and I feel guilty about it.  This is leftover winter squash, complete with mold, that was given to me.  It was huge.  Instead of freezing the leftovers, I kept thinking that I would eat it.  And didn't.

Cha Ching:  $1.00

No comments:

Post a Comment