Wednesday, October 10, 2012

QFC Grocery Basket 10/10



This is what Miss MoneyPenny felt like doing this morning after 45 minutes of trying to get through to the Social Security people.  I was concerned about a letter that they had sent to me and wanted clarification.  After working my way through their very irritating phone tree and then being put on hold for the next available representative, I would listen to their broken recorded music for about 10 minutes, then my call would be dropped!!  This happened twice.  Then I got the brilliant idea of calling the Port Angeles office.  Same thing.  Then back to the feds and I finally got through.  Whew!!

What I'm getting around to is if you are planning on retiring in the near future, start the process early because it is going to take longer than you think.  I tried to do as much as possible on-line but some things require you to talk to a live body.  Once you get a real live person they are very nice and helpful, but it is a battle and takes a lot of patience.  Also, be sure that you are prepared when you finally do get someone to talk to.  Have your paperwork in front of you and try to remember your mother's maiden name.

Enough of that.  Let's go shopping.  The QFC ad this week isn't very exciting but they are running the 10 for $10 promo and there are some goodies there.  Also, I wanted to mention that Best Foods mayonnaise is on sale this week for $3.49 for a 30 ounce jar.  I find this shocking.  When I first started keeping house in 1967 Best Foods cost $ .73 for a quart (32 oz) and that was not on sale.  This is a good example of why your food budget just doesn't stretch very far.  Here is what I'm looking at this week:

QFC Cottage Cheese - 3/$5 24 oz
Tillamook Butter - $2.99/lb
Chuck Roast - 50% off
New York Strip Steak - $8.99/lb
Fresh Dover Sole - $5.99/lb
Franz Bread - $2.50/ea
Best Foods Mayonnaise - $3.49/30 oz
Whole Pineapples - $1/ea
Large Hass Avocados - $1/ea
Leaf Lettuces - $1/ea
Roma Tomatoes - $1/lb
Grapes - $1.49/lb
Crest Toothpaste - $1/ea (coupon Oct PG for $ .50 off)
Pantene Shampoo/Conditioner - $3.50/12.6 oz (coupon Oct PG Buy Shampoo get Conditioner Free)

That chuck roast is making me think stew.  They are easy to cut up into stew size chunks and freeze.  I usually freeze them in one pound packages and then add lots of veggies when I make the stew.  I flour and brown the meat and then add everything to the crockpot.  I always add a can of whole mushrooms at the end because it adds a little pizazz to plain old stew.

No comments:

Post a Comment