Wednesday, July 2, 2014

QFC Grocery Basket 7/2


Looks like it snowed under the Mock Orange, doesn't it??  Miss Know-It-All gave me this tree when I first moved here.  At the time it was a sad looking twig but she assured me that it would be gorgeous some day.  And it is!!  If we'd had any idea that it was going to get so big it would have been planted elsewhere but, as it is, he gets an annual prune just to keep him this size.

This Friday marks the 5th annual MoneyPenny 4th of July party.  I've been praying for no rain and it looks like I'm gonna get my wish.  Hopefully it won't be as hot as yesterday (92 in the shade) because we would be miserable as I don't have shade on my deck, other than the umbrella.

I've been waiting for a sale on pork butt for the pulled pork that I serve at the party but the cheapest I've found is $2.39 a pound at Costco.  Usually I pay between $ .99 and $1.49 per pound.  I guess it is true that meat prices are going through the roof.

Today I'm taking the insert from my biggest crockpot up to the butcher at QFC.  This worked great last year.  I hand him the insert and he cuts a piece of meat to fit.  Easy peasy.  Tomorrow I will cook it all day until if falls off the bone.  I get up early Friday morning and shred the meat and mix it with onions and BBQ sauce and put it back in the insert and let it rip.  Delish!!

Okay - let's look at the ad for this week.  If you want some wild King Salmon and you don't know any fishermen it is gonna set you back for $16.99 a pound.  My favorite ex-husband used to catch so much salmon that we took it for granted.  Who knew that it would become so dear??  Anyway the season is short and the fresh salmon is beyond delicious.  Also - grab the Northwest Cherries as their season is also short.

Here are my suggestions:

Orowheat Bread - $3/loaf
Seattle's Best Coffee - $4.99/12oz
Chobani Greek Yogurt - $1/5.3oz
QFC Butter - $2.50/lb
Naturally Nested Eggs - $2.50/doz
Tillamook Cheese - $5.99/2lb loaf
Nature Made Vitamins - BOGO
Fresh NW Cooked Shrimp Meat - $5.99/lb
Fresh Wild King Salmon Fillets - $16.99/lb
Fresh Wild Sockeye Salmon Fillets - $10.99/lb
Hebrew National Beef Franks - $3/12oz pack
Lean Ground Beef - $4.99/lb
Ribeye Steaks - $6.99/lb
NW Apricots - $2.99/lb
Spinach - $1.29/bunch
NW Red or Rainier Cherries - $2.99/lb
Tomatoes on the Vine - $1.49/lb
Walla Walla Sweet Onions - $ .99/lb
Peaches or Nectarines - $1.99/lb


Every spring Shane, the world's cutest handyman, and I tromp all over the deck looking for bad spots.  He then rips up the bad boards and replaces them with new ones.  Somehow we missed one and it was right under the table.  I noticed it when I was putting up the umbrella so he made an emergency repair last night.  Somebody might be mad at me if they fell through during the party.

Note:

You might have noticed the new HIGH sale prices on bread, butter, eggs, and Tillamook cheese.  The cheese alone is a 20% jump.

No comments:

Post a Comment