Wednesday, July 16, 2014

QFC Grocery Basket 7/16


I told you that Miss PeggyRae was a gifted gardener and this is just part of her deck!!  She puts my little deck pots to shame.  And her flower beds are stunning.  The little flower sniffer is my great granddaughter, Miss AslynGrace.

I'm gonna have the water bill from hell this month.  The weather man said it was the 11th day in the 80s or above which is very unusual for this part of the world.  My average daytime temperature has drifted around 90.  Even though I have everything mulched my plants still gasp for water because they are in total sun.  I couldn't bear to let my veggies and beautiful flowers die so I spend a lot of time watering.

Okay - let's look at the grocery ad this week.  It is not very exciting but I do want to mention again that the cherry season is short as well as for fresh wild salmon, so get them now.  QFC also has Marie Callender pot pies on sale for $2 a pie.  These pies are really good (for processed food) and I like to keep some in the freezer for emergency times when there is nothing to eat.

Here are my suggestion for this week:

Franz Organic Bread - $3.49/loaf
Starbucks Coffee - $6.99/12oz bag
Fage Greek Yogurt - $1/7oz
International Delight Coffee Creamer - $2.69/qt
Kroger Cottage Cheese - $2.50/24oz
Nancy's Yogurt - $2/qt
Marie Callender's Pot Pies - $2/ea
Fresh NW Cooked Shrimp Meat - $5.99/lb
Fresh Wild King Salmon - $16.99/lb
Fresh Wild Sockeye Salmon - $10.99/lb
NW Blueberries - $4.99/2lb
Broccoli Crowns - $1.29/lb
Spinach - $1.29/bunch
Local Peaches, Apricots, & Nectarines - $1.99/lb
Red Cherries - $2.99/lb
Yellow Squash or Zucchini - $ .99/lb
Green Beans - $ .99/lb


A lot of people don't like beets but I do.  I pulled these big babies this morning and they are now tightly wrapped in heavy foil and sitting in a low and slow oven until they are tender.  After they are cooled off the skins are easy to slip off but you still get purple fingers.

I usually make a small batch of pickled beets for the fridge.  They are delish in salads.  Sometimes I slice up an onion from the garden and add it to the pickled beets.  Pickled onions give new life to a sandwich.  Be careful because they are highly addictive.

No comments:

Post a Comment