Sunday, July 20, 2014

Easy Peasy Pickled Beets



Miss MoneyPenny loves all things pickled.  My mom used to make pickles in a big crock and then can them.  I was crazy about the dills.  And my sister, Miss SmartyPants, used to make bread and butter pickles that were so good.  I was always thrilled when she sent me home with a box of her home canned food.  This, of course, was during her earth mother years.

I've always thought that pickling had to be a big deal which involved crocks, canners, and guages.  Well, it doesn't have to be.  I'm not a canner but I do want pickled stuff.  I like to reach in the fridge and grab pickled beets and onions for my salads and sandwiches without going to all that work.

My easy peasy method involves going out to the garden and picking a bunch of beets and onions.  You could also do this at the store if you don't have a garden.  I suggest your local farm stand.  Anyway after the beets are cleaned and the tops trimmed to about two inches I wrap them all up in a big heavy foil package and roast them at 350 until tender.  This takes about an hour or longer depending on the size of the beets.

After the beets are cooled, the skins just slip off like magic.  I chop my beets into cubes but you could do slices if that flips your skirt.  Then I fill the jar with sliced onions:


If you had some boiled eggs they could go in also.  Then I make my brine and pour it over the top making the onions shrink up so they are covered by the brine.  I put a lid on and they go in the fridge for a week before you can eat them.

Here is the recipe:

1 bunch beets - roasted
3 onions - sliced

1 cup white wine vinegar
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1 t salt

Boil the brine and pour over the beets and onions.

I told you it was easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment