Wednesday, October 30, 2013

QFC Grocery List 10/30





I knew that things had changed for me when I started looking through the clothes at Hadlock Building Supply.  Miss MoneyPenny used to buy her clothes at Nordstrom back in the good ol' days when the money was flowing freely, thanks to her favorite ex-husband.  These days I'm waiting for payday so I can purchase the above Carhartt hoodie complete with logo.  My grandson, the plumber, wears a lot of Carhartt so I know that I will be stylin'.

They also had some good looking tees like this one which will work well in my present wardrobe of hoodies and jeans with a few bibs thrown in:



Okay - let's take a look at the QFC ad for this week.  Miss MaggieMay and I were talking about meatloaf the other day.  I only like meatloaf in sandwich form and I don't care for meatballs, either, but I love burgers.  Go figure that one out.  Anyway, ground beef is on sale for $2.49 a pound but you have to buy the three pound roll which is not a problem.

When I get it home, I divide it up into a two pound piece and the rest gets shaped into patties for the grill.  Then into the freezer for later use if I'm not gonna make meatloaf right then.  No problem at all.  Buy more if you are feeding a family with kids.

Here are the highlights this week:

La Brea Bakery French Baguette - $1.99/loaf (bread crumbs when stale)
Orowheat Bread - $2.50/loaf
Spice Islands Spices - 50% off
Starbucks Coffee - $6.99/12oz or 12ct
La Victoria Salsa - $2/16oz
QFC Large Eggs - $1.99/18ct
Draper Valley Whole Chicken - $ .88/lb (stockup for the freezer price)
Lean Ground Beef - $2.49/lb
Celery - $ .68/lb
Fuji/Braeburn Apples - $ .99/lb
Tomatoes on the Vine $ .99/lb
Mayan Sweet Onions - $ .99/lb

I make a fabulous meatloaf and I got the recipe off the Onion Soup Mix box back in the 70s and it has never let me down.  I added my own touch which is a glaze that really makes a tasty loaf.  Here is the recipe straight from the box with my glaze:

2lb ground beef
1 envelope Onion Soup Mix
3/4 cup bread crumbs (I have used oatmeal with success)
2 eggs
3/4 cup water
1/3cup ketchup
I also add a good jolt of Worcestershire

Get in there with your hands and give it a good mix.  Shape it into a loaf and bake at 350 until done.  The recipe says one hour but I usually give it 30 minutes more and keep an eye on it.

30 minutes before it is done mix up this glaze and paint the top of the loaf liberally:

1/2 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon brown sugar

This is really good the next day after it has set up.  Grill some slices with cheese and make a delicious sandwich with lettuce, tomatoes, and onions on sourdough.  Yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment