Wednesday, October 23, 2013

QFC Grocery List 10/23



I was hoping that this spider web would show up better in this shot but Miss MoneyPenny is not the world's best photographer...and this was the best of five shots.  Our fall mornings and most days for that matter have been blanketed in fog and coolish temps which is giving the beautiful begonia a real hard time:


I figure she has a week, maybe two weeks tops, before she winters out in the compost.  I don't overwinter my begonias because I don't really have a place big enough for them.  They are too big to come inside and for my mini greenhouse.  The garden shed is too cold and besides I like to try out new colors and varieties every year.

I've been getting the place ready for winter.  I've had the roof cleaned and the gutters swabbed out.  I changed out the battery in the smoke detector and I had the heat pump serviced.  I turned the mattress and bought a new set of flannel sheets. 

I'm in the process of taking down the veggie gardens.  I have one completely ready and one almost done.  I started on the last one this morning but got caught up in turning the compost in my old composter and digging out a wheel barrow full of the black gold.  That stuff is amazing!!  And free!!

Next week I will take my car up to the Car Wash in Port Townsend and have them give it a good going over.  It costs about $45, including tip, and they also do the windows.  I will also make an appointment at Satch Works for a winter service, making sure I get new window wipers.  I had my tires rotated this summer at Costco.  When you buy your tires there you get free rotations and I take advantage of that while I do my shopping.  My dear old dad, who was a tire man, said that rotating your tires is important, so I do it.

On to the ad - QFC has a decent one this week.  Pork roast is going for $1.79 a pound and there are all kinds of things that you can do with it.  The Know-It-Alls served it for our Supper Club and I believe they roasted it covered with a green salsa for a Latin flair.  It was delicious!!

Here are the highlights:

Orowheat Bread - $2.50/loaf
Peet's Coffee - $6.99/12oz or 10ct singles
Fage Greek Yogurt - $1/7oz
Kroger Sour Cream - $1/16oz
Haagen-Dazs Ice Cream - 3 for $10/14oz
Colgate Toothpaste - $1/ea 4.6oz
Pork Shoulder Roast - $1.79/lb
Beef Flank Steaks - $4.99/lb
Asparagus - $2.99/lb
Colored Bell Peppers - $1/ea
Cucumbers/Green Peppers - $ .59/ea
Gala, Jonagold Apples - $1/lb
Pears - $1/lb
Pineapple - $1.99/ea
Pomegranates - $2.50/ea

I love the idea of pomegranates in the fall but the eatin' is something else again.  What a mess!!  I think that it is best to put on a big bib and go outside and have at it.




No comments:

Post a Comment