Wednesday, May 29, 2013

QFC Grocery Basket 5/29


I don't know who thinks this stuff up but today is National Learn About Composting Day.  I found this graphic that shows how easy it is to make black gold.  This is not an exact science like you have been led to believe and are probably scared off, thinking that you don't have any browns (me).

Basically all you do is decide what kind of vehicle you are going to compost in.  I have a kitchen composter that you feed in the top and get the finished compost out the bottom.  Works like a charm.  I also have a new double barrel composter which is turning out pretty good looking compost.  But you don't need anything fancy.  Wire bins work great.  I've actually seen great big piles of compost under tarps that produce good stuff, too.

Once you have decided on your method all you do is start adding coffee grounds and filters, tea bags, veggie and fruit peels, egg shells - the list is endless.  Just no meat or dairy.  For the brown I add leaves, weeds, plant prunings, and used dirt from the deck pots.  Occasionally I will throw in a small bag of chicken manure just to jazz things up.  If it looks dry, I spray it down with the hose.  Turning it adds air which speeds things up but I've been known not to bother.  That's it!!  Easy peasy!!  Have at it.

Okay, let's go shopping for food.  QFC has a decent ad this week with some nice produce selections and fresh halibut going for $14.99 a pound.

Here are my suggestions:

Orowheat Bread - $2.50/loaf
Private Selection Spices - $2.49/ea
Seattle's Best Coffee - $5.99/12oz
Rosarita Refried Beans - $1/16oz can
Chobani Greek Yogurt - $1/6oz
QFC Sour Cream - $1/16oz
Red, Green Leaf, Romaine or Boston - $1.25/head
Broccoli/Cauliflower - $1.49/lb
Colored Bell Peppers - $1/ea
English Cukes - $1/ea
Driscoll's Blueberries - $3.88/18oz
Red Tomatoes on the Vine - $1.50/lb
Vidalia Sweet Onions $1/lb
Certified Angus New York Strip - $6.99/lb
Fresh Halibut - $14.99/lb
Crest Toothpaste - $1/ea
Sun Tea Jar - $4.99

I checked out the tea jars and they are glass.  Making sun tea is really a snap.  Fill up your gallon jug and add 6 to 8 tea bags.  Put the lid on and sit it in the sun all day.  When you bring it in the house, fish out the tea bags (for the compost) and refrigerate.  Makes surprisingly good iced tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment