Monday, May 6, 2013

May - The Best Month to Buy...




We have been having just stellar weather around here and I have been smelling steak on the barbie almost every night from the neighbors.  I am surrounded by young people in my neighborhood who like to party and make noise.  I'm okay with that.  I was young once and I would have passed out if you had told me then that I would be the old lady of the neighborhood some day.

Since it is barbecue month you should be able to find good deals on everything related to it - from foods to equipment.  Look for sales on hot dogs, ketchup, mustard, relish, briquettes, grills, and so on.

Good sales on mattresses should start heating up around Memorial Day to make room for the new models coming in over the summer, especially in Mattress Stores.

Here is the list of what you should see on sale this month:

Mattresses
Patio Furniture
Slow Cookers
Refrigerators
Vacuum Cleaners
Televisions/Electronics
BBQ Condiments & Products
Pet Supplies

Seasonal produce:

Artichokes
Asparagus
Avocados
Sweet Vidalia Onions
Peas
New Potatoes
Rhubarb
Strawberries

Garden Update:

I planted out the potatoes this weekend and set up the "tomato station" for later.  So far I've planted three kinds of onions, chard, lettuces, mustard greens, beets, and broccoli.  When it cools off this evening, I'm going to plant my first row of bush beans.  I have very good luck with Territorial's "Jade" for taste and continued harvest, but you gotta keep picking to keep them coming on.

I also potted up the begonia bulbs which had already sprouted in their bags.  This is my first year with the bulbs.  I usually just buy the little plants but Costco had a good deal on the bulbs and a good selection.  They are next to the house, under the eaves, so they should be fine if a little cold snap snaps.


Food Waste Update:


Nasty tomato!! and a cup of really old coconut milk.  These two just got away from me.  I don't have a good excuse.

Cha Ching: $2

No comments:

Post a Comment