Thursday, May 9, 2013

QFC Grocery Basket 5/8


I'm late getting the grocery basket out this week because of an unplanned visit to the hospital.  On Tuesday morning I did as much housework and laundry as I was going to do, cleaned and painted three window sills, and was headed out to work outside.

Before I went outside I talked to my sister on the phone, and when I hung up I had the absolute worst vertigo attack that I've ever had and I'm a dizzy broad, so I'm used to a little room spinning.  I was literally hanging on for dear life and felt like I was going to pass out, so I put my head between my knees and immediately got bad heartburn.  Then I burst out into crazy sweating.

I just felt terrible so asked Miss KnowItAll to take me to Urgent Care to see if they could give me something to make me feel better.  They immediately freaked out and said I need the aid car because I was having a heart attack.  I assured them that I wasn't but headed for the ER anyway.

I walked into the ER and proceeded to do some really impressive throwing up.  That did get their attention.  They were also sure I was having a heart event because my symptoms were classic for a "post-menopausal woman" - ewww!!  Who knew??  After an EKG (that was fine) and a lack of high blood pressure and any other markers, they decided I needed to stay overnight and be monitored.

So, after a day and night of EKGs and several blood draws, they turned me loose.  I was exhausted after not getting any sleep but they now know that a heart attack shows up as an enzyme in the blood, hence all the needle sticks, and some of those guys were better than others at finding a vein.

This might seem like too much information but I want to make sure that everybody knows what a heart attack can look like, especially in women.  There doesn't have to be chest pain or pain running down the arm like in men.  My symptoms were what they called "classic" and even though I didn't have a heart attack and did racked up some pretty impressive medical bills, I really enjoyed all the time I had visiting with my son, the plumber, although I felt a little guilty that he left the job site to hang out with me.

Now that I have that out of the way, let's go shopping.  They are still running the Buy 4, Save 4 promotion at QFC, so check your May P&G insert for Proctor & Gamble products that you might need.

Here are my suggestions this week:

Franz Bread - $2.50/loaf
Del Monte Vegetables - $1/can
Chobani/Oikos Greek Yogurt - $1/6oz
Darigold Butter - $2/lb
QFC Cottage Cheese - $1/16oz
Nature Made Vitamins - BOGO
USDA Choice Ribeye Steaks - $5.99/lb
Driscoll's Strawberries - $6.99/4lb (think jam or shortcake)
Asparagus - $1.99/lb
Broccoli Crowns/Cauli - $1.49/lb
Organic Fujis - $1.99/lb

On Monday, Shane, the world's cutest handyman, came by and pounded in the posts for my raspberry beds.  This is a closeup of the plastic coated wire that I bought.  It is easier on the plants and won't cut them like wire can.


I've been trying out lawn clippings as free mulch this year.  So far it seems to be working great.  You just have to be careful to leave the crown of the plants free.  The idea is that I won't have to water so much and the mulch should help to keep the weeds down.  One can hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment