Wednesday, May 15, 2013

QFC Grocery Basket 5/15


I'm so happy with Mr. Dogwood.  About 10 years ago my son gave him to me for Mother's Day and I promptly planted him out in the yard, thinking that I would get a couple more to act as a screen so I wouldn't have to look at the renters next door.  He proceeded to dwindle down to a twig and never bloomed, so I moved him into the corner of the front flowerbed about five years ago.

As you can see he is deliriously happy there.  This dogwood is called Cherokee Chief and his flowers attract bees, butterflies, and hummers.  I know this because a hummer was buzzing around when I took this shot.  I'm hoping to keep him from getting too big by pruning him down.  I understand that this is done in winter.

Here is a closeup of the blooms:


The QFC ad is such a yawn this week I almost skipped it but there are a couple things to pick up.  The good news is that Copper River salmon is coming soon and that means the fresh salmon season is on its way!!

My suggestions:

Starbucks Coffee - $6.99/12oz
Chobani Greek Yogurt - $1/6oz
QFC Butter - $2.29/lb
QFC Large Eggs - $1/doz
Pork Shoulder Roast - $1.49/lb
Fresh Rockfish Fillets - $5.99/lb
Colored Bell Peppers - $1.25/ea
English Cucumbers - $1.25/ea
Tomatoes on the Vine - $1.50/lb

I want to mention that ebates is having their birthday celebration and several stores are at 14%, including Nordstrom, so if you need something, now is the time.  Did you know that Nordstrom always offers free shipping and returns??  Me, either, but it makes me happy.


I picked my first lettuce and was again surprised at how much better it is than store bought.  This is lettuce that overwintered after I threw some leftover seeds in the garden last fall.  I transplanted the little plants into the salad garden and they really took off.  I was worried that they would be tough and bitter.  Not the case.


This little piece is all that is left from three nice pieces of fresh halibut that Mr. CutiePie sent my way.  He gets how much I love fresh fish and remembers me.  He didn't earn the MoneyPenny Seal of Approval for nothin'.

I breaded and baked all three pieces and proceeded to wolf down the first two in one sitting.  Yesterday I made fish tacos out of half of the last piece.  The other half is going on top of my salad tonight.  What more could a person ask for??

1 comment:

  1. Love the Dogwood! Maybe I need one for the office lawn.... Plus, the front of your house looks great!

    ReplyDelete