Wednesday, August 6, 2014

QFC Grocery Basket 8/6


Miss MoneyPenny was never a fan of James Brown because he scared her.  All that sweaty violent man sex but when Miss MaggieMae wanted to see the new docudrama produced by Mick Jagger I was in.  The movie, Get On Up, starring Chadwick Boseman as James Brown turned out to be very entertaining.  It tells the story of his sad upbringing in extreme poverty in South Carolina to his hugely successful music career.  The story jumped around some but I told Miss MaggieMae that it would be too hard to watch if they told his story in a straight line.  Oh, yeah.  The music was fabulous!!


This morning I went out and dug up the spuds.  As you can see some of them are huge!!  It was so fun because it felt like digging for gold in the garden and actually finding it.

Okay, let's look at the ad for this week.  Not very exciting but there are a couple of things to mention.  I didn't put the Olathe corn on the list because I discovered it comes from Colorado which is way too far.  I did put the heirloom tomatoes on because I'm gonna buy a pound's worth to see if they are really worth the price.

Here are my suggestions for real food:

Tully's Coffee - $6.99/12oz
S&W Canned Tomatoes - BOGO/14.5oz
Simple Truth Cage Free Eggs - $2.50/doz
Fresh & Wild Sockeye Salmon Fillets - $10.99/lb
Simple Truth Organic Ground Beef - $6.99/lb
Fresh Draper Valley Whole Chickens - $ .99/lb
Barilla Pasta - $1/ea
Hatch Chile Peppers - $1.49/lb
Heirloom Tomatoes - $2.99/lb
Medium Hass Avocados - $ .99/ea
NW Yellow Peaches or Nectarines - $1.49/lb
Walla Walla Onions - $ .99/lb

I'm going to roast a whole chicken this week.  I always eat the legs and wings and then chop up the rest for the freezer.  I have a lot of beautiful sage in a pot on the deck so I think I will rub the chicken all over and under the skin with butter and then slip a few leaves under there, too.  I haven't decided if I'm going to roast it in the oven or in the crockpot.  Depends on how hot the house is.


I found these beautiful allium type things growing in my garden.  I didn't plant them.  Actually I have a lot of different volunteers in my garden this year.  They had grown about five feet tall and then the wind blew them over.  I pulled them up thinking that there would be a big onion but there was only a small clove of something.  I thought that they were way too pretty to compost.

No comments:

Post a Comment