Wednesday, August 27, 2014

QFC Grocery Basket 8/27



Miss MoneyPenny rarely buys cut flowers, except in February when she needs all the help she can get.  That is a bad month around here with nothing but endless cold and gray.  Maybe I will go down to Arizona and surprise the Bradster's parents.  I'm sure that once they got over the shock everything would go smoothly.

And speaking of the Bradster - we are heading out for a couple of days at Sol Duc Hot Springs where we will take the waters and just generally goof off.  I usually make an annual trek up there but last year I was being such a big baby about my blown out hip that I wasn't doing anything, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Anyway - the above photo is Don Juan in all his glory.  I've finally come to the conclusion that I am not a very good rose grower and usually Don really show this off by looking crappy.  This spring Chris, my yard mower, took a saw to Don and cut him down to about two feet.  I thought that would be it for Don and was thinking what to replace him with but he has been gorgeous this summer.  And in the late afternoon he smells wonderful.  You can bet that I'm gonna give him a haircut again next February.

Okay - let's look at the QFC ad this week.  There are a couple of things to mention.  Kellogg is having a promotion where you buy 4 of their products and get a free gallon of milk.  Teenage boys and husbands can go through a lot of cereal in my experience.  And there will be a four day sale with a good sale on new crop Gala apples.

Here are my suggestions for real food this week:

Franz Buns - $1.88/8ct
Kellogg's Cereal - Buy 4/Get Milk
Fage Greek Yogurt - $1/7oz
Kroger Sour Cream - $1/16oz
Tillamook Cheese - $5.99/2lb loaf (note higher sale price)
Fresh Alaska Cod Fillets - $7.99/lb
Fresh Bonneville King Salmon Fillets - $12.99/lb
Hebrew National Beef Franks - $4.99/12oz
Lean Ground Beef - $4.99/lb
Ribeye Steaks - $7.99/lb
Ronzoni Pasta - $1/16oz
Driscoll's Blueberries - $2.50/pint
Green Beans - $1.49/lb
Medium Hass Avocados - $ .99/ea
Leaf Lettuce - $1.25/head
Tomatoes on the Vine - $1.48/lb
Sweet Corn - 5 for $2
Sweet Yellow Onions - $ .99/lb
Yellow Peaches or Nectarines - $1.99/lb
Zucchini or Yellow Squash - $1.28/lb

4-Day Sale (Fri - Mon):

New Crop Gala Apples - $ .99/lb
Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce - $1/18oz


This is my old girl, Pici, taking a little nap.  She recently had a pretty severe stroke but she is doing much better after a couple of visits to the local vet.  She turned 14 in June so every day with here is special.

My other schnauzer, Suzy, who is 12, has always had bad teeth no matter how much brushing.  Her latest visit to have her teeth cleaned and nine extractions cost me almost $1300!! and with Pici's visits, it came to $1700.  Isn't that shocking??  My savings got hit hard because I only had $600 in the Pet Fund.  This is an example of the wild card in your budget but taking good care of my pets is not optional.  Due to this expense I will no longer be taking in strays and as my girls pass on they will not be replaced.  One dog is enough.

Garden Update:

I will be doing a garden sum up again this year.  I've had some huge successes and some shocking failures, so I will be trying to figure out what went wrong and right.  I'm trying not to take the lack of zucchini personally but it is hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment