Sunday, January 29, 2012

Garden Blogs

Even though it is freezin' ass cold outside, Miss MoneyPenny is thinking of the veggie garden and what is going to go in it this year.  Definitely lots of greens.  I really love 'em and they just happen to be really good for us.  You might remember how Miss MoneyPenny was eating roasted green beans and cherry tomatoes last year until she was sick of them.  Guess what?  I'm craving them and it is only January!!  I've got a long wait ahead of me.

I read a couple of good garden blogs that I thought I should pass along.  The first one is gardenrant.com.  This is written by a group of ladies with attitude.  I really enjoy Michelle's posts and purchased her book (Grow the Good Life) for my Sony Reader and my new Color Nook.  I like it that much and I have mentioned it before because I think her message is important.  These ladies rock!!  Give it a looksee.

The other blog that I read is awaytogarden.com by Margaret Roach.  She worked for Martha Stewart for years so she is very knowledgeable and puts together a very entertaining blog.  I have learned a lot from her over the last couple of years.

I know feeding the birds isn't gardening but as far as I'm concerned, they go together, being that they are outside with the garden and all.  The guy from Seattle and I are very serious wild bird feeders so were dismayed to read about Scotts putting out toxic bird food.  Read the article here.  The thought that we could possibly poison the poor birds that we are feeding is horrible.  I have no idea how to tell if the bird food is safe, no matter who makes it.  Maybe buy it at Pet Town in bulk?

Compost update:

The wormies are on top and it is still frozen like a big chunk of ice in the middle.  What it needs is a couple of warmish sunny days and it will be back to cookin'.  It was good to see that the little red wigglers are still with us after the big freeze.

Food waste update:

Now this is truly disgusting.  Somehow these beautiful organic carrots got missed and I'm not making soup this weekend.  I took a picture so you could see how limp they are.


Cha ching: $1.50

No comments:

Post a Comment