Thursday, September 22, 2011

Grocery Basket 9/22

Miss MoneyPenny is STILL eating green beans and tomatoes from the garden.  I think that the green beans are almost done, but not the tomatoes.  Those little babies are gonna go strong until the first hard freeze.  I know that in the middle of winter I will really miss them and wonder how I could have possible gotten sick of them.  Happens every year.

Along with the aforementioned, I'm planning on doing a chicken stir-fry and brown rice, tuna sliders and some kind of eggplant dish.  I haven't decided yet what that will be, but it is on sale.  Maybe ratatouille.  I love the stuff.  It is great on polenta and in pasta.  I'm happy to eat it right out of the bowl.

The sale flyers aren't very exciting this week, but here are some items of interest:

QFC

Broc/Cauli - .99/lb
Grapes - .99/lb
Pears - .99/lb
Eggplant - 2/$3
Cucumbers & Green Peppers - .59/lb
King salmon - 9.99/lb
They are still running the Buy 10/Get $5 this week.

Earlier I promised the recipe for Killer Chicken Soup.  Here it is:

Saute in 1T olive oil - chopped onion & garlic.  When soft, add 1 small can chopped green chilies, 15 oz can chopped tomatoes, box of chicken broth and diced leftover cooked chicken.  Now, this is the really important part, so don't leave out any of the spices.

1 tsp lemon pepper
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp Lea & Perrins
good dash of hot sauce

Simmer on the back of the stove so that flavors develop.  When it is almost ready, boil up 1/2 cup of orzo pasta.  Drain and add to the soup.  Spoon some of the soup broth into a bowl with 1/2 cup or more of light sour cream.  Whisk until smooth, then add slowly back to the pot.  This is called tempering and you do it so that the sour cream won't look all lumpy.  I bet you didn't think that I was paying attention when the Food Network was on, did you?

This soup just gets better every day as the flavors deepen.  You can change it up by adding bell peppers, corn or black beans.  My friend Miss Maggie May doesn't even put chicken in it - just beans and corn.  This recipe is a keeper and great for when it is cold outside or, God forbid, you have a cold.  Trust me on this.  If you make it, let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment