Friday, September 16, 2011

Grocery Basket 9/16

Miss MoneyPenny got her flu shot at Safeway today.  All you have to do is give the nice ladies in the pharmacy your insurance card and then somebody comes out and gives you a shot in the arm.  Nothing to it.  Then you get 10% off of your groceries.

Speaking of groceries - I know that my shopping looks crazy but remember it is only me and the critters.  Both Safeway and QFC were running a couple of deals that I took advantage of for stockpiling.  This is what I bought at Safeway:

Hermiston Sweet Onions - .99/lb
4 Lucerne Greek Yogurts - .89 ea
4 Clorox Toilet Bowl Cleaners - BOGO - used 2 $1/2 coupons from SS/8/21 - ($5.98-$2=$3.98 for 4) - regular price would have been $11.96 before sale and coupons
They were also running the Buy $75 Get $10 Catalina coupon for next time.  I don't think that I've ever taken advantage of that one but it would have come in handy when I had all those hungry guys to feed.

QFC:

New crop Gala apples - .99/lb
2 Coffee Mate - 2/$5 - plus I used a $1 QFC coupon making them $2 each
2 Silk Almond milks - $3.49 each - I used a $1.50/2 QFC coupon making them $2.74 ea
2 red peppers - $1 each
Buy 10 Save $5 deal:
4 Kraft Mac & Cheese - .49 each
4 Del Monte peaches - .99 each
4 Tide liquid - $5.77 ea - I used 2 $1.50/2 coupons from Sept P&G insert - ($23.08 - $3 = $20.08 for 4) - regular price before sale and coupons $35.96
I had them bag the mac & cheese and peaches separately for the food bank.  I mainly bought them to get the Tide deal but the food bank can always use some help.

Here is a picture of today's stockpile.  I really had a hard time in finding a place on my counter that wasn't all cluttered up.  These 8 items cost me $24.06 instead of $47.92.  They will not go bad and I always use them - good contenders for stockpiling.


My menu plan for the week is to make a big pot of my Killer Chicken Soup, halibut, salad. more green beans and tomatoes - I eat 'em until they are gone.  I might also do some polenta.  I have apples, nectarines and bananas for cereal, yogurt and smoothies.  When I do salad it is a real meal.  I put feta cheese along with the kitchen sink in it.  I buy feta at Costco.  I have no trouble using it up and it is lower in fat than other cheeses.

I will give you the recipe in a later post for the Killer Chicken Soup.  I love regular chicken soup but it can be pretty boring but not this soup.  Trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment