Monday, June 23, 2014

All Things Coffee



Now you know that Miss MoneyPenny claims that she drinks a tankard of coffee in the morning.  Here's the proof.  Right next to the three pound can of coffee.  Some mornings I have to hold it with both hands if my arthritis is acting up.

You know how that first cup of coffee is so sublime in the morning but the second one not so much??  In my case the reason for this is that I don't care for coffee that has set for even 30 minutes so this is my remedy.  I fill my coffee pot to the 6 cup marker with one heaping coffee measure which is probably close to a quarter cup.  I like my coffee strong.  I then add about an inch of creamer and I'm good to go with just one cup.  Works for me.

What brought this up was a story on the news this morning about the rise in coffee prices due to drought and disease.  Kind of a double whammy.  What's new??  Everything is going up faster than it has in years and those of us with stagnant incomes are feeling the pinch.

I used to be one of those people who bought expensive coffee beans and ground my own every morning, keeping the bag in the freezer.  That was before they started selling coffee in 12 ounce bags to make it look like a better deal.  Now I buy my coffee at Costco in the three pound can as you can see in the above can and it is good.  It also goes for under $10 last time I bought it.  Give it a try if you are feeling the coffee price pinch.

If you use creamer like me and are so addicted you can't get off it and won't even drink a cup of coffee without it buy it at Costco.  They sell it by the half gallon for less than the sale price of two quart creamers at the grocery store.

This is gonna surprise you but the best place to buy filters is at Trader Joes.  I buy packs of 100 brown filters for $2.00 each.  Costco no longer sells filters.  According to a clerk that I talked to people are buying the single serve deals like Keurig which is a terribly expensive way to drink your coffee, in my opinion.

I don't know about you but the thought of drinking a cup of coffee gets me out of bed in the morning but that doesn't mean I plan to spend a big chunk of my food budget on it.


My last jar of pesto from the freezer.  I made several batches from the basil that I grew in the garden last summer.  So far I haven't seen any of the basil that I planted a couple of weeks ago break ground yet but it is still early.  One can only hope.


This is my row of lettuce seedlings after Poppy, the Boston Terror, planted her throwy toy.

No comments:

Post a Comment