Wednesday, April 9, 2014

QFC Grocery Basket 4/9



Isn't this a beautiful head of lettuce??  I bought this for about $3 at Chimacum Corners Farmstand and I want to make sure that none of it gets wasted.  Lettuce going bad is a common thing and once it gets that black slimy stuff on it...forget it.  I was up at the beauty shop the other day and one of the ladies asked me how to avoid this and, of course, I have a method, which is a combination of ideas from Miss Jeannie and one of the Iron Chefs.  Can't remember which one but here is how I do it:

First - take each whole leaf off separately and give it a good wash.


Then give your leaves a good long spin in the salad spinner.  It is shocking how much water comes off.  If I have to give it another go to get everything as dry as possible I do.


Then I put a piece of paper towel in the bottom of my old 70s Tupperware salad bowl and put the dry lettuce in, with another piece of paper towel on the top.  Then I give the top a burp to get rid of the air.


So, if I need a couple of leaves for a sandwich or enough for a salad it is ready.  Getting the lettuce as dry as possible and removing the air is the key.  You will be surprised how long your lettuce lasts.


Okay - let's take a look at the QFC ad for this week.  Remember to download any digital QFC coupons to your card for items that you use.  You do this by going to the QFC website and clicking on "digital coupons".

Here are the highlights this week:

Thomas English Muffins - BOGO
Spice Island Spices - 50% off
Starbucks Coffee - $5.99/12oz (you need to buy 3 to get this price)
Fage Greek Yogurt - $1/7oz
Tillamook Ice Cream - $2.99/56oz
Draper Valley Bnls/Sknls Chicken Breasts - BOGO
Fresh Shrimp Meat - $5.99/lb
Hormel Cure 81 Spiral Sliced Ham - $1.88/lb
Ribeye Steak - $6.99/lb
Driscoll's Strawberries - $2/lb
Eggplant - $2/ea
Green kale - $2/bunch
Jumbo Artichokes - $2.50/ea
Medium Hass Avocados - $ .99/ea
Tomatoes on the Vine - $1.99/lb

Last weekend Shane, the world's cutest handyman, came by and replaced 20 boards in the fence and one in the deck.  While I had him, I got him to carry in 8 big bags of barnyard manure and 2 of Miracle Gro potting soil for my deck pots.  Yesterday he pressure washed the deck.  The deck looks brand new but the yard looks like hell with all the deck furniture and pots everywhere.  I can't put them back until he puts on the deck stain...hopefully this weekend.  Isn't home ownership wonderful??

No comments:

Post a Comment