Wednesday, April 16, 2014

QFC Grocery Basket 4/16



Did you make it through tax day in tact??  I always have to pay because I don't let Uncle Sam have any of my money during the year so I pay the piper at the end of the year depending on how many deductions I can come up with.  So far I've been able to cover it.  My sister, Miss SmartyPants, who has an accounting business says I should put something aside every month.  I know it doesn't make sense but I just can't bring myself to do it.  I know I have a bad attitude but I'm 65 and retired and have paid taxes for 50 years so leave me alone already.

Speaking of my precious money, before I retired most of my garden was put together with starts because I just didn't have the time and I only had one raised bed.  Rarely did I ever use seeds but if I did I would just throw the partly used packet into the garden shed never to be seen again.  Now that I have three beds I'm using seeds.  When my order to Territorial Seeds came in at $50 I decided to come up with a system to avoid waste.

I found the perfect box in my recycling bin and being an ex-librarian, my seeds are in alphabetical order.  When I use one of the packets I open it from the bottom so that the info stays readable.  After using some of the seeds I put it back in order with a big paper clip.  I even have room for my little jars of pelleted lettuce seeds on the side.  I can't tell you how smart this has made me feel.

Okay - let's take a look at the ad for this week.  For those of you who are cooking Easter dinner (the Bradster and I are going out for Easter Brunch) bone-in hams are going for $ .99 a pound.  I noticed the price increase for Tillamook cheese on sale at $5.99 for a two pound loaf.  For years the sale price has been $4.99 which proves the warning that food prices are going up.  I heard 27% the other day on TV but that seems extreme but we will see.

Here are my suggestions for real food this week:

Orowheat Bread - $3/loaf
Spice Island Spices - 50% off
Chobani Greek Yogurt - $1/5.3oz
QFC Butter - $2.50/lb
Tillamook Medium Cheddar Cheese - $5.99/2lb loaf
Cook's Portion Bone-in Ham - $ .99/lb
Fresh Turkey Breast - $2.49/lb
Fresh Alaska Cod Fillets - $7.99/lb
Asparagus - $1.99/lb
Broccoli/Cauliflower, Celery - $ .99/lb
Driscoll's Strawberries - $1.88/lb
Grape Tomatoes - $2.99/10oz
Greens - $2/bunch
Large Navel Oranges - $ .99/lb
Radishes - $ .99/bunch
Yams - $ .99/lb


Notice the green feet.  The guys mowed yesterday and then it rained.  I was happy for the rain because I think that it is better for my garden than city water but had forgotten this little detail.  See that grass??  It is everywhere!! including my bed.  Picture a white down comforter.  As soon as I get the entire house vacuumed they want to go out again and so on...

No comments:

Post a Comment