Wednesday, April 23, 2014

QFC Grocery Basket 4/23



When I noticed the three volunteer potato plants sticking their heads out of the compost the other day I thought I might be hearing from my supplier, Mr SuperGenius.  And I was right!!  His parents put in a huge organic garden up in Joyce and are kind enough to share some of their seed spuds with me.


This magic box holds eight different kinds of potatoes with charming names like Desiree (reminds me of my son, the plumber's first girlfriend) and Purple Majesty.  We also have Butterball, Yellow Finn, Bintje, and my fave - Mountain Rose.  If you've never grown potatoes in your garden you really should because you will be a huge success with anyone that you share with.  And, of course, they are delicious.

In case you are wondering how to grow seed potatoes, I can assure you that it is easy peasy.  A few days before you want to plant cut your potatoes in pieces with at least one eye.  Let them dry on newspaper in a cool place.  I spread the paper out on the bed in the guest room.  I've been told that this process reduces the risk of rot.  When you plant it is best to not add manure as you can get rough patches on the skin of your spuds, so heap on the compost instead.  Also plant your spuds in a different area of the garden for better crops every couple of years.

So on to the ad.  QFC is running their Buy4/Save $4 so if you need cleaning products or processed type foods check it out.  I heard on the CBS news this morning that coffee prices will be going up starting next month but I see at least a dollar increase in the sale price this week on Starbucks.  By the way, I buy my coffee from Costco and save a heap.

Here are my suggestions for this week:

Starbucks Coffee - $6.99/12oz
Dannon Greek Yogurt - $1/5.3oz
Boneless Top Sirloin Steak - $6.99/lb
Draper Valley BS Chicken Breasts - BOGO
Fresh NW Cooked Shrimp Meat - $5.99/lb
Organic Ground Beef - $6.99/lb
Boneless Flank Steaks - $5.99/lb
Anjou Pears - $1.28/lb
Eggplant - $2/ea
English Cucumbers - $1.25/ea
Tomatoes on the Vine - $ .99/lb
Zucchini/Yellow Squash - $1.28/lb



This is a snap of Mr SuperGenius who wouldn't look at the camera but you can still see that he is one handsome guy and very sweet, also.  He is the one that convinced me to grow potatoes.  I shall be eternally grateful.

.




No comments:

Post a Comment