Wednesday, March 19, 2014

QFC Grocery List 3/19



I have these little patches of daffodils all over my flower beds.  My friend, Miss MaggieMae, who isn't a gardener, cannot resist the little pots of daffodils that you see everywhere in the spring.  Once they are done blooming I just dig a hole in the flower bed and drop the whole thing in intact.  And, voila!! the next spring - up they come.


This is my old contractor's wheel barrow that I grow zucchini in the summer but it does double duty in the spring with daffodils, then tulips.


What is it, you ask??  Why - it is my first crop of radishes coming up, of course.  These are the Cherry Belles.


I cleaned out the strawberries and the raspberries behind them.  They are going great guns, as are the neighbor's blackberries coming through the fence.


My friend, Miss Theresa down Portland way, is a maniac gardener.  I was telling her the sad story of my first ever clematis and how Poppy had ripped it to shreds last summer while fence fighting the neighbors pit bull.  She said that it was hard to kill a clematis and that she cuts them down to the ground, so I should go take another look.  After I cleaned out the corner flower bed what did I see but my clematis starting to climb up the trellis!!  This is exciting!!  This corner is going to be a knockout with the deep purple clematis, pink climbing rose and red Lucifer's in the front.  Cannot wait!!!!


Isn't it magic how one week there is dirt and the next Mr. Jack Frost (brunnera) and his beautiful little blue flowers pops out??  This is another one of those plants given to me by a friend, Miss Know-It-All.  She bought it intending to plant it but never got around to it, so, of course, she brought it over to me.  And being Miss Know-It-All she told me where to plant it.

Okay, let's quit playing around and get to the QFC ad.  They are running the Buy 5/Save$5 promo and there are some good deals to be had.  Also the first showing of fresh Alaska halibut at $16.99 a pound.  I'm just thrilled to see that fresh fish season is starting.  I've been eating a lot of Dover sole this winter.

Here are the highlights:

Orowheat Bread - $1.99/loaf (5/$5)
Tully's Coffee - $4.99/12oz (5/$5)
Starkist Tuna - $1/ea
Clorox Bleach - $2.50/64oz
Kroger Cottage Cheese - $1.99/24oz
Mountain High Yogurt - $1.99/32oz (5/$5)
Nature Made Vitamins - BOGO
Lean Ground Beef - $4.99/lb
Fresh Wild Alaskan Halibut - $16.99/lb
Barilla Pasta - $1/ea
Broccoli/Cauliflower - $ .99/lb
Colored Bell Peppers - $1.50/ea
English Cucumbers - $1.50/ea
Eggplant - $1.50/ea
Driscoll's Strawberries - $2.99/lb
Jonagold/Cameo Apples - $1.68/lb
Tomatoes on the Vine - $ .99/lb
Organic Grape Tomatoes - $3/10zo
Zucchini/Yellow Squash - $ .99/lb

As I look at the ad I notice that all the ingredients for ratatouille are on sale this week.  I may just give the Bradster's recipe a try.  Or better yet, he can make it and share.  Basically the recipe calls for sauteing cubed eggplant and then layering it with all the other veggies, with grated Parmesan between the layers and baking it.  Sounds yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment