Wednesday, March 12, 2014

QFC Grocery Basket 3/12



I was talking to my friend, Miss Theresa from down Portland way this morning and we both agreed that today was a perfect day to break out the Sluggo.  It seems early but I have spotted a few snails travelling up the side of my house getting ready to leave their icky trails of snail poop.  The best way that I have figured to control them is to completely Sluggo the whole diameter of the house and gardens in the spring.  This works really well.

As you can imagine I go through a lot of Sluggo so I buy mine at Costco which means a big giant jug but I usually go through at least one a gardening season.  Also, I buy my garden gloves at Costco.  My daughter-in-law, Miss PeggyRae, turned me onto this idea.  If I remember right you get six pairs in the package - all bright colors so if you lay them down, you can easily spot them.  I keep my gloves in the cabinet by the back door so they are quick to find.  When they are dirty I just throw them in with the towels and dry them on the towel rack with my handmade socks.

Next Monday is St. Patrick's day so QFC has all the corned beef fixings on sale this week.  They are also running the deal where you buy three boxes of General Mills cereal for $2.49 each, you get a free gallon of milk.

Here are my suggestions for "real food" this week:

Irish Soda Bread - $2.49/loaf
Peet's Coffee - $6.99/12oz
Dannon Yogurt - $1/ea 5.3oz
Darigold Butter - $2.50/lb
Boneless Bottom Round Beef Roast - BOGO
Corned Beef Brisket - $2.99/lb
Fresh Dover Sole Fillets - $6.99/lb (note price increase)
Pears - $ .99/lb
Asparagus - $1.68/lb
Green Beans - $1.99/lb
Green Cabbage - $ .58/lb
Jazz Apples - $1.99/lb
Red or Green Leaf Lettuce or Romaine - $1.50/bunch
Red or Yukon Gold Potatoes - $ .99/lb
Tomatoes on the Vine - $1.99/lb

Readers of Miss MoneyPenny know that one of her big disaster dinner parties involved corned beef that was so salty that it was not edible.  Really!!  But we did drink a lot of beer to make up for it.  Now I cook my corned beef and all the stuff that goes with it in a cooking bag and everything comes out yummy and hardly any mess or boiled cabbage smell in the house.

Reminder:

This week QFC has all Washington wines on sale and if you buy six, you get 15% off, so stock up.


No comments:

Post a Comment