Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Easy Peasy Fridge Clean-Out Curry



Lately I've been on a real Thai food kick.  Last week I had it three days in a row!!  As I was taking stock of my pantry before I headed out to QFC this morning, I noticed a few veggies that were starting to head for the dark side. Immediately curry came into my head but I needed cilantro and limes.  I had everything else on hand.  This is how I put it together:


I chopped up an onion and three garlic cloves.


In a tablespoon of coconut oil I added about three tablespoons of Thai Red Curry Paste (green would work just fine) and the garlic and onions.


Then came mushrooms, carrots, and broccoli.  I also added half of a withered red bell pepper that I found in the back of the crisper.  How does that happen, anyway??   Keep in mind that I am only using veggies that I have on hand right now.  Almost anything would work including those leftover veggie trays.


After the veggies came a can of coconut milk and one of diced canned tomatoes.  I also added a can of chicken broth to make it more smooshy.  Once I added the almost cooked noodles and let it simmer it was just right


This bag of frozen cooked chicken from November went in next.


At this point I added a few good jolts of fish sauce, 2 teaspoons sugar, and red pepper flakes.  I also zested a lime and added that to the mix.

Instead of rice noodles, which don't reheat worth a darn, I used thin spaghetti.  I always have it around the house, so I boiled some up and added it, along with some chopped cilantro.

The first picture shows the completed dish.  I like to add a few squeezes of lime at serving.  This dish is beyond good and reheats well for leftovers and nobody would every guess that it came from a bunch of dodgy looking veggies and chicken.

Here is the basic recipe:

1 T coconut oil or olive oil
3T curry paste, red or green
1 chopped onion
3 chopped garlic cloves
3 to 4 cups of assorted chopped veggies
Cooked chopped chicken
Can of coconut milk
Can chopped tomatoes
Chicken broth
Lime zest from one lime
A few good jolts of fish sauce
2t brown sugar
Small hot chili, chopped or red pepper flakes, to taste
Fresh cilantro, chopped
Cooked noodles
Lime wedges

Feel free to change up the ingredients to suit your taste.  Instead of cilantro you could use basil and it would be just as delish.

Hint:

Everything goes much smoother if you have everything chopped and ready to go before you start cooking.


No comments:

Post a Comment