Wednesday, February 5, 2014

QFC Grocery Basket 2/5



All of my houseplants are dusty.  Probably due to my forced air heat and the drywall work that my son, the plumber, did on my bathroom.  He traded out my old coffin-style bathtub for a luxurious walk-in shower and I'm thrilled with it but that white dust has really settled on my plants.  When it warms up I'm gonna stick them all in the shower and give them a good going over.  That should do it.

I started out my day with a bang today.  I had just gotten up and was drinking my coffee when my neighbor, Tina (who has a daycare), called and said she needed me.  It seemed that one of her charges missed the school bus and she needed to drop her off but her helper wasn't due for an hour.  So, I threw a fleece jacket over my jammies and grabbed my coffee and glasses and headed over.

When I walked into the house and sat down in Tina's chair with Buster, her dog, the six kids were all really behaving themselves.  They were playing quietly and watching cartoons.  As soon as one of the toddlers realized that Tina was gone he began howling and did not stop until she got back 20 minutes later.  I still haven't recovered.  By the time she got back bedlam had broken out and all the kids were screaming, jumping off the furniture, and fighting.  She probably won't ask me again.

Okay.  Let's take a look at the ad this week.  Be sure and download the QFC digital coupons to your card if you use them.  In fact the ad is really pushing this.

These are my suggestions:

Peet's Coffee - $6.99/12oz
Boneless Bottom Round Roast - BOGO
Anjou/Bosc Pears - $ .99/lb
Asparagus - $1.99/lb
Grape Tomatoes - $2.99/10oz
Jazz Apples - $1.99/lb
Large Navel Oranges - $ .99/lb
Whole or Sliced Mushrooms - $2/8oz
Whole Pineapple - $2.99/ea
Zucchini/Yellow Squash - $ .99/lb
Fresh Cut Tulips - 3/$10 (5 stem bunches)

I dug around in the freezer yesterday and found a container of stew from last winter!!  I thawed it out and had it for dinner and it was so good that I'm going to make up a big pot of stew and freeze some more for those cold stew-like days, like right now.

I never buy "stew meat".  I buy a roast and cut it up and freeze it in one pound bags for stews and curries.  Sometimes I cook a roast in the crockpot and cut the leftovers into cubes and freeze them with the gravy.  This makes a quick stew later on.  All you have to do is brown your celery, onions, and garlic.  Then add your meat/gravy mixture, with carrots and potatoes.  Very tasty, indeed.


No comments:

Post a Comment